router question (netgear)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by truz, Jan 25, 2006.

1. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

I just got a Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router (WPN824) and I just wanted to know if anyones got this working on mac? I did not see any mac software for this.. Is it required to use the install cd that comes with the netgear routers or can you set it up without it? Also, would it work on a mac?

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

you don't need the extra software. On my netgear router (and every other router I've used), there is an IP address you can type into your browser that will take you to their setup screen on the router. Should work from any computer.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, that's correct - it should just be a web-based interface. And I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with a Mac.

4. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

Is it your own IP address or an address of netgears you have to type up?

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

its the IP address fo the netgear router on the locat network. Its a default IP address. It will be documented in the paper work that came with the router. If there's a quick start guide, look there. It will show you what it is.

6. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

I set up my gf's mac with a netgear router.....it was weird.... a weird experience... hahah... i'm familiar with linksys and d-link....both mac friendly... but netgear was confusing the heck outta me... i did the same thing i would do with a linksys...n it wouldn't work right.... so i scrapped it and i just bought a d-link one. :D cost me only 5 bux too :-D Wireless D-link!

7. emaja macrumors 68000

There's nothing different about setting up a Netgear router for a Mac than it would be for the PC. I never used the software with mine since all it is is a front end for people with little experience.

The IP address for my WGR614 is 192.168.0.1, but I think it is different for the MIMO routers. Follow these directions and you will be safe.

8. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

sweet! thanks everyone.. Will give this a try tomorrow. I'm heading out for the night (1am)