Router question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SLiipfert, Oct 11, 2005.

1. SLiipfert macrumors newbie

I have been using my Airport to get other people's signals in order to get online. I have been told by my ISP that I need to go buy a wireless router and then get back in touch with them and be added to the network in order to get on the signal here in my own apartment. I am paying for internet, and would like to use my own signal..ok makes sense so far. The guy told me a router would cost about $20-$30 for a Linksys router; I looked one up on walmart, and there are several kinds and they are more than what he told me. What do I get for this to work?? We have cable internet here. I do like being able to go anywhere in the house with my internet working, but it looks like with that router it plugs into my laptop and I can't walk around with.

I am so confused. Please help me figure out what I need and what works on an Apple!
    Thanks in advance.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Limiting myself to the Walmart website:

This is the router I would buy. IMO, it is the the best sub $200 router on the market. I wouldn't use anything else.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2470125

If you want to go cheeper, I'd get this one. I've used it with my powerbook for about a year. Worked great. I only stopped using it because I purchased the router above.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2470291

PS: $20-30 for a linksys is going to be very hard to find unless you get a slower router. Personally, I'd get a nice one so you don't have to upgrade later. Either choice I presented above is good.

3. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

4. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Contrary to what others here say, I bought the Linksys from WalMart and Hated it. Returned it the same day I bought it. My iBook keped loosing the signal, the setup instructions were not easy.

I say get the Belkin one for $39.95. I love mine and it's really easy to set up. I had my iBook online in under 15 min. I messed around with the Linksys for over and hour and a half before returning it. Plus the belkin designed to work with OS X so if you don't want to set it up via the web interface you can use the setup CD. You can't do this with the Linksys