Router Question.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by smurfsgonewild, Jul 15, 2004.

1. smurfsgonewild macrumors member

I"m gonna be heading off to college soon and my roommate and I will have to get a cable modem for our room since our college hasn't yet evolved to high speed in all the dorms yet. Ours are supposed to be renovated soon so we'll just see. I was wondering what routers you guys would reccommend for us. Easy setup is always a plus. My friend bought a refurbished belkin router for like 30 bucks and it was a good router but he said it was a pain to set up. So what do you guys reccommend for linking together a pc and possibly a mac if I ever make up my mind. Thanks in advance.

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I have a linksys wired and dlink wired and wireless. both are easy to setup. the i have an older linksys which isn't as feature packed as my new dlink, but if all you do is surf and email then you won't need to worry about that. the linksys i use has editable routing tables which is a big plus if your making a semi complex network.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

If they are both wireless, you could always get an Airport Express. Very compact, you could both share a printer and hook it up to the stereo in the room to play your tunes through.

4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I agree with this if you guys can afford it. Yeah its $120, and no doubt breakfast lunch and dinner for you guys consist of Top-Roman. But its small and out of the way so this is ideal for a tiny dorm room. Plus less wires for anything and everything is better.

5. smurfsgonewild thread starter macrumors member

Is there anyway to protect the signal from a wireless router? I"m sure that if word got out that we have a wireless network, there'd probally be a butt load of free loaders.

6. angelneo macrumors 68000

There are a few ways depending on your wireless router. You can set WEP password, preferably 128 bit. You can enable closed system so that normal wireless computer cannot detect your network. Also you can specify a list of MAC address that can connect to your network. You can utilise either of them or if you want you can employ all the methods.

7. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

A WPA-Personal password is better. Much more secure than WEP.