Router Suggestion: Netgear

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zflauaus, Oct 11, 2005.

1. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I was looking at this router, the Netgear WGR614. I have a $10 gift certificate for BestBuy and $4 in BestBuy bucks so I can get the router for around $15-$16. Does anybody have/like this router?

2. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

By looking at the spec, that model only supports WEP encryption. I would go with a model which supports WPA as it is more secure.

3. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Theoretically, a great model. I haven't had experience. But for $15ish, get it :)

4. robcts macrumors regular

I'd spring for the Linksys WRT54G if you can. It's not that expensive and better than the NETGEAR.

5. zudo macrumors member

If it's anything like the DG834G (and it looks like it is, just without built in modem) then I'd say go for it. I've had an DG834G since february and am very happy with it. Easy to set up and have had no problems whatsoever. Plus it looks quite nice (for a router) so keeps the lady of the house happy too!

6. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Netgear is good stuff - mine is really reliable, hardly ever have to reboot it. My Linksys router was never as good, and looking back now I'm quite glad it was zapped by a lightning strike - forced me to get the Netgear. And it's true what it says on the box -'set it up in 5 mouse clicks'.

7. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

8. DavidCar macrumors 6502a

I had a bad experience with a WGR614 earlier this year. I'm on a 10Mbps fiber optic line, and the router kept overloading my ISP. They would shut down my account because I was generating huge numbers of outgoing packets. They thought it was a virus at first, but I eventually wrote a small program which downloaded my router stats every 10 seconds, and it became clear the packets seemed to be coming from outside, and were then redirected by the router back outside without going through the computer. This happened in a quick burst of packets that then blew the ISP packet "circuit breaker." I complained to Netgear at the time, but I didn't get a response. I eventually disconnected it.

9. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

i have an old d-link di-624 wireless router nothing special but it works for me.
    i think for 16 bucks its worth trying. you can always return it if it is not what you were looking for.

10. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Had it... nothing but problems... Changed to an Airport Extreme Basestation... all better. If you wanna go cheap... Go with the Linksys, otherwise buy the Airport Express.

11. emaja macrumors 68000

BB doesn't list all the specs, but it supports WPA and WEP. I have it and it works great. Very reliable and at $30, a good price.

BTW, for those who mention it, how is the Linksys better?

12. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks Everybody...

I believe I am going to go with the Netgear. For $15, I can't go wrong. Plus, if I don't like it, I'll return it. Thanks again!