Router/switch rec for home network

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Le Big Mac, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Looking for a broadband router (for cable modem) with an 8-port switch. Any recs, at least as to brand? (I'm assuming such an item can be purchased in the $100 range; I'm not talking heavy duty corporate switches here.)

Thanks!

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Just picked up one of these at Compusa for the company I work for. Works very well, I like Linksys a lot. Paid $99 for it.

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I like linksys too. they don't officially support macs, but my experience has always been positive with them.

4. DavidFDM macrumors regular

I have a D-Link 802.11 broadband routervwhich I am very happy with. It has a web interface to control its settings. Excellent unit.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

People recommended Linksys to me. I got one. It works fine. Now I recommend Linksys to others.

6. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I prolly use my equipment a little to the max, but I've recently killed two Linksys routers. The only two routers that I will possibly recommend are Cisco series routers and a D-Link that I bought 4 years ago. I think everything else crap honestly. Right now I'm using a windows 2000 server running NAT, DNS, DNS queries through RASS. yum, this is a sweet router :p.

BEN

PS. I forgot to say my actual recommendation. D-Link. So far the quality from them has been respectable.

7. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I'm using a D-Link Wireless router with my iMac (wired) and my work laptop (windows-wireless), and have had no problems. Set up for the Mac is so easy.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I don't think a router would die simply from usage. Most anyone would have it powered on all the time, i.e., use the hardware the maximum time possible. On the software side, handling a large number of packets or protocols or clients over a long period might bring memory leaks or other firmware bugs leaks to light, but a quick RESET would cure software problems. So what was the symptom of a Linksys router that had been "killed"? Maybe they were simply lemons?

9. utilizer macrumors regular

NO D-LINK

I'm using a network with the Linksys wireless router...They're under the Cisco Systems brand now, you know. My roommate and I just got this one today. The D-Link 614+ would freeze up all the time and at first, we thought it was our ISP. But upon checking out dslreports.com, it was the router all along, that froze without giving any warnings. Every five minutes this would occur and you have to go directly to the router and disconnect the power from it. It's messed up. Finally he got so frustrated today, we hopped in the car and drove to Savannah to pick up a Linksys G Router from Circuit City. Works flawlessly. When you double click on songs from the iTMS, it plays instantly, whereas before you would click and you would see the infamous spinning beach ball of death along with the "Connecting..." dialog box, for instance.
    So in short, you won't regret your purchase if you get the Linksys.
    They're the best in the business, period! :cool: