Router Troubles

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Liebo11, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Liebo11 macrumors member

Hi . . . I have problems staying connected to my linksys wrt54gs router with my macbook. All the other laptops in my apartment stay connected all the time but for some reason my laptop just keeps getting disconnected. When its in one spot on my desk it stays connected but if i move it to my bed or something it will just get disconnected pretty easily. Anyone know anything that can help or have experienced similar problems?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

When it's connected, does it say that it's getting a good signal? :)

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

If the signal is strong, than you probably just need to update your computer (if it hasn't been). There was a fix for this with the Macbooks and Macbook Pros dropping signals. You may also want to try and centralize your router. Also, you'd be surprised at what a 2.4 GHz wireless phone would do to your signal. This can easily be fixed by changing the channel. Also, know that the microwave oven is a BIG WiFi killer. You might want to try turning on Interference Robustness. If it's none of that, take it to the Apple Store, but know the exact range between your router and you.

4. Liebo11 thread starter macrumors member

hmmm . . . looks like i have a really good connection how do i update my wireless?

5. Liebo11 thread starter macrumors member

6. Liebo11 thread starter macrumors member

Also Just Realized

This seems to only happen when the computer isn't plugged into the AC adapter. Then it will just disconnect every couple minutes or so with a full signal when its on battery. Anything anyone please?

7. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

i just bought this router, the one without the speed booster cause it was on sale.. and i pretty much just plugged it in. To secure the network i called the tech support for the router, and you have to set it up through a windows PC. So i did, and she walked me through it. it works great no problems on my macbook, all over the house, so i dont know whats up. Perhaps its a problem with your macbook?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, maybe try restoring some of the internal network port configurations by resetting the PMU and PRAM. :)