Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mith

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Montreal, Qc, Canada
ok so i am receiving my 24-icnh imac in 2 days , i have an old windows computer, so i want both to share internet , so i was told to get a router. now since i hear we have pre-draft wireless N cards or something or ready in our core 2 duo imacs (just not activated yet or something) i was thinking a wireless draft N router would be best , right? And apple's airport express is G right? anyz so any suggestion on what to get would be nice....and how router works lol,,first time am gonna do this and i onli got 2 days to buy cause i wanna set up everything on Friday so plzz help!
so which one should i buy, that will be easiest to setup??

a side question: is 2 GB good enough to run parallels?and a few other programs at the same time?

another side question: if i repair disk permissions even if there is nothing wrong will it do anything? and has anyone ever heard of source forge's apple jack? is it good?? am reading about it now...

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Just the side questions

a side question: is 2 GB good enough to run parallels?and a few other programs at the same time?

another side question: if i repair disk permissions even if there is nothing wrong will it do anything? and has anyone ever heard of source forge's apple jack? is it good?? am reading about it now...

2GB is fine for Parallels + a few other programs.

Repair disk permissions never hurts. If there's nothing wrong it won't do anything. People use it as a mantra on this forum :D but often it doesn't actually solve anything - however it's never problematic.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
For now - just get a G router.

The pre-N and draft-N and we're-just-guessing-at-N routers don't provide a real benefit over G. The latest crop of draft-n products in particular are worse than the previous generation.

I disagree. I say definitely get a Draft-N (not Pre-N) router. You will get better range if nothing else, and speed will be better if you use Bootcamp. And down the road you'll appreciate this N speeds.

mith

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Montreal, Qc, Canada
thx alot

thx for your reply but i reali need some helpful guide ....like how do i set it up and all? what is bonjour? router and bonjour , do i need it together? lol srry never done this before just wanna be prepared when i do this on Friday/ now am confused about G and N routers which one to get( so now is a 50/50 ..one of u are saying G , other N, anyone else have anything to add, cause u guyz will help me decide ( never gonan do anything until i finalize it here lol),,,,,, but which brand ....airport extreme some other company ?? which one is easiest to set up ??

and y will speed be better if i use bootcamp>>>isn't that to boot to windows? windows gets more speed out of it?? am confused :(

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
hate to be this guy, but:

I'm not sure router configuration can be explained to you in an online forum. Your best bet is to find someone who knows how to do it and have them show you.

This is just my opinion, mind you...

mith

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Montreal, Qc, Canada
thx alot

lol ok but at least answer the other question G or N router, and which brand( one person says G other says N , i need explanation LOL??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.