Routers: what do you have?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by iampaulb, Feb 6, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

I have been trying to set up my server, with not much luck. Everything works on client side, hostname resolving to ip etc that type of thing. But even when on a computer in my network nothing resolves.

So I have been looking at routers, ideally id like a Airport Extreme as i can control this from the server.app however its a little steep in price. And as im learning all this (for work, i work in IT support) Maybe an apple router is not the best option so I am looking for suggestions on other really good routers which are highly customizable.

2. macrumors G5

Consultant

3. macrumors 65816

shenfrey

I use Time Capsule and it has never let me down, it just works.

4. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Nice...got any good tutorials for that? That will allow the same control and function from the server.app?

6. macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Netgear N900 (a.k.a WNDR4500). It handles my file- and media-server like a charm.

7. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

8. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Hmmph... looks like the price came down (from the $2600 price) since I bought it! :D

9. macrumors 65816

Netgear here, I had a older AEBS but found it was too limited in what I can do. I like the flexibility of the netgear.

10. macrumors 6502

DJLC

Asus RT-N66U here. Super fast and super flexible for at home. The built-in firmware is pretty alright, and it also supports DD-WRT. Best consumer router I've ever used by far without the premium you pay for Apple hardware.

11. macrumors 601

Plutonius

I also highly recommend the ASUS router.

12. macrumors 68040

Giuly

Cisco Linksys E3200. Does work fine, nice range, has a WAN-LAN throughput > 100MBit/s, hasn't had one random disconnect so far and it supports 40MHz-wide channels for the iPhone 5 and iPad 4th-gen. I can't complain whatsoever. If you want to go crazily customizable, it runs dd-wrt, too.
    [​IMG]

13. macrumors 65816

designs216

The Airport Extreme was a good router but I sold it to get the TimeCapsule for a cleaner setup. It seems the earlier software version had more options and some people will complain there's no QoS with Apple routers. I've been very pleased personally. I had a few Linksys routers previously and had to restart them often.

14. macrumors member

15. macrumors regular

Oh... have I had fun with the ASA 5500 series...

I have a Verizon ActionTec MI424WR, a Time Capsule, and a Cisco 891-W.

16. 1934hotrod, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013

macrumors regular

1934hotrod

I just installed the Cisco EA4500 matched with a Cisco cable modem. Very pleased with the performance it pops real nice. Had a E1000 and this new router is lighting, only note to add is the admin of the router works best with FireFox. Safari is clunky for admin of the router, but that's Safari and that's the rest of the story. Cannot go wrong with Cisco network products.

Greg

17. macrumors 6502a

jalagl

TP-Link TL-WR1043ND with DD-WRT v24 preSP2

Very stable, the media sharing functionality doesn't work with DD-WRT, but it is a good tradeoff for stability, speed, and it cost me $50! :D

18. macrumors 6502

Yep, mid-2011 Time Capsule. I was trying to use a D-Link router (no intended slam on D-Link, by the way) before and had all kinds of issues with apple TV dropping connection to the iMac. I got the TC primarily for activating time machine backups, but also found that as soon as I had it configured and online in place of the d-link, all the ATV dropped connection issues promptly disappeared.