Rovio Announces New Female-Themed 'Angry Birds Stella'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Rovio today announced a new version of its popular Angry Birds game after hinting about it yesterday on Twitter. The upcoming Angry Birds Stella features the "fierce and feisty" female lead character, Stella, along with her "friends and (fr)enemies."

[​IMG]
    Angry Birds Stella is expected to launch sometime this fall on iOS, as Rovio is also expected to tie-in animations, books, toys and more with its new title.

Rovio has rocketed to success on the back of the original Angry Birds title for the iPhone, bringing the game to other platforms and producing a line of Angry Birds-branded merchandising. Besides Angry Birds, Rovio has also released other titles such as Bad Piggies [Direct Link] and Amazing Alex [Direct Link] games.

Article Link: Rovio Announces New Female-Themed 'Angry Birds Stella'

2. macrumors 65816

3. macrumors 6502

4. macrumors 604

bushido

I cannot wait not to download it. I am sure it will be a hit in Asia though ;)

5. 69Mustang, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

macrumors 68000

69Mustang

Dear Rovio

1. The Fonz only jumped the shark once. Step away from the bike.

2. You've gone to the well a few too many times. That's mud in the bucket in case you didn't know.

3. The birds aren't angry anymore. They're just tired.

None of the comments above have anything to do with women. Rovio has simply run out of idea. <- Not plural.

edit: Reason077 correctly pointed out to me that Arthur Fonzarelli actually jumped the shark on waterskis. Good catch and so much for my revisionist history.

6. macrumors member

Someone get them a cow. Give them something else to milk

7. macrumors 6502a

I see they're going the Duck Dynasty route with this IP.

Where's the Angry Birds duct tape, thermal mugs, band-aids, shot glasses, and waffle makers?

I get taking it as far as you can, but geez...the birds aren't the only ones who are tired anymore.

8. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

The yellow one, hahaha.

I hope the gameplay differs from the other ones.

9. macrumors 6502

Swampthing

Lots of sour grapes here. Grow up people. This is how America works... new word for today: "franchise."

Ever hear of Batman, James Bond, Spiderman, Superman, Street Fighter, Plants vs Zombies, Simpsons, The Walking Dead, Sonic, Mario, Tekken, Call of Duty, and on and on and on. All of these have spilled into additional media areas... are they considered "milking" those franchises too?

In this case, it looks like Rovio is producing something a bit different. How about giving it a shot rather than throwing acid in their face right away?

10. macrumors 68000

Reason077

11. macrumors G3

roadbloc

But Indianna Jones was nuked in the fridge so therefore Rovio are going to continue milking money out them cartoon birds until angels in heaven sing of the misfortune of unfortunate smartphone users when they pay another 69p for another samey app.

12. macrumors 68000

Reason077

Well, we all know chicks don't game, but you can't fault them for trying.

Maybe King should try a female-themed version of Candy Crush. I could see that game being popular with the ladies?!

13. macrumors 6502

Padaung

Why all the negativity? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Also, it's too early to know what new aspects may be introduced to the gameplay.

How many versions of Call of Duty have there been already, and more to follow?

If you have a hit piece of software, you run with it...

Has anyone said about Apple 'Come on chaps, this computer and phone thing, you've done it enough now - stop making those and only sell something totally new and untested.'

No, you come up with other ideas whilst still selling and modifying what has proven to be successful already, this just makes sense, surely?

14. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think Rovio needs to produce a non-angry bird app at this point, creating a retread of their original game is getting old. I guess the only way they'll stop if people stop buying/playing it.

15. macrumors 68000

ghostface147

They have and it doesn't catch on.

16. macrumors 68000

Am I the only one who read this and thought it was horribly sexist?

17. macrumors 68000

NightFox

Flappy Bird & Angry Birds

So in the same week we see one chart-topping runaway success bird-based game withdrawn by its developer at the height of its success, at the other end of the spectrum we now see another one, wrung dry long ago, being given yet another desperate squeeze.

18. macrumors member

asterizk

No. Another formerly gender-neutral thing becoming gendered (see also: Lego). sigh

19. macrumors 6502

20. macrumors 68020

Yes yes, gender is a social construct, good goy.

*hand rubbing intensifies*

21. iWe
    macrumors regular

Rovio is constantly evolving and diversifying the Angry Birds franchise and releasing quality games in the process. If they were just "milking it" they wouldn't be nearly as successful as they are.

22. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

How is this female-themed...whatsoever??? Is it because they work together to solve problems? Because they are totally BFF's?

It sounds more kid-themed than anything. Furthermore the word stella is Latin for "star" (think stellar), and I see what looks vaguely like a telescope.

I'm probably okay with this.

23. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

The gendered Lego thing wasn't a bad idea, they were just poorly implemented. They made it so that there were two types of Legos: "The regular Legos" and "The easier, girlier Legos".

24. macrumors 68040

iSee

Ms. Pac-man wins again!

----------

I don't see it. What's the horribly sexist part?

25. JAT
    macrumors 603

Since when does Angry Birds need a "lead character"? My kids are all bored with AB, except for my architect, who likes the Bad Piggies game.