Rovio Expands 'Accounts' Cross-Device Game Progress Syncing to Original 'Angry Birds'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 19, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Back in May, Rovio announced a new "Rovio Account" feature that would allow users to sync their progress on games such as Angry Birds across devices. At the time, the feature launched with limited availability, arriving worldwide for The Croods and only in Finland and Poland on the original Angry Birds game.

[​IMG]
    Rovio today announced that the new Accounts feature is now available worldwide on the original Angry Birds across iOS and Android devices, although it is yet to come to the other games in the Angry Birds family.
    Angry Birds for iPhone [Direct Link] and iPad [Direct Link] are available in the App Store.

Article Link: Rovio Expands 'Accounts' Cross-Device Game Progress Syncing to Original 'Angry Birds'

2. macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Serious question: Why can't this use Game Center or iCloud?

3. macrumors 68040

They don't work on Android.

4. macrumors 601

gotluck

cross platform maybe?

5. macrumors 68020

Cross platform.

6. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

I already had 10 accounts hacked this last year, and my debit card information got stolen and used, I'm not making another one one just for syncing a couple of games. *YAWN* :rolleyes:

7. macrumors member

8. macrumors 65816

bacaramac

We need way more of this. Helps with those that want to jump ship on an OS. I only see consumer benefit here.

9. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

Is the focus on iOS and Android. All devices should also include Macs, right?

10. macrumors regular

Are you watching developers? This is what we want...

11. macrumors 6502a

a0me

At last!
    All games and apps should have something similar.

12. macrumors 6502a

My question is, will it sync between the iPad and iPhone versions. Since Rovio LOVES reselling their games with the "HD" tag on iPad at a higher price, they are technically separate apps.

What I really want is to be able to have Angry Birds on my iPhone and Angry Birds HD on my iPad sync. Rovio could fix this if they just made a universal version. Make the more expensive version the universal app if they really want, but its annoying as hell having two separate versions of the same game. Then again, I just shouldn't buy them ;)

13. macrumors newbie

Yes, what you describe is exactly what it does...signed up this morning and my iPad progress transferred seamlessly to my iPhone...finally...:)

14. macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's weird that they announced it today. I've been using it in Angry Birds and Angry Birds HD for over a week now.

The app prompted me to sign up...was I a part of a secret beta practice group maybe?

15. macrumors 6502a

Really? I'm a little surprised, but thats good news. Finally

16. macrumors 601

Icaras

Well this is better than nothing. I hope they also extend this to the Mac version as well.

17. macrumors 6502a

This needed to be added years ago when I actually still played angry birds.

18. macrumors 601

HiRez

How many people switch off playing a game between iOS and Android versions?

19. macrumors 6502

Apple should use this idea too, for its ios devices.

20. macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

Good question lol.

I just want a way to backup my progress in case of a system restore.

They should still offer an iCloud feature.

21. macrumors 601

I do. I play on my iPad at home, then at work or on the road, play on my Galaxy S4. Or visa versa.

22. macrumors member

I know quite a few people that have both an iOS device and an Android device. I have a Nexus 7 and a iPhone 4. Very soon I could have an iPhone 5 and an iPad or i might keep the Nexus 7 and get an Nexus 4 or HTC One. It is nice to have the choice if you need it.

23. macrumors member

That doesn't matter. At all.

I don't mean that Android doesn't matter, but that adding iCloud support doesn't take away one whit from a cross-platform Rovio account. Not entirely unlike how 1Password supports syncing through iTunes, iCloud, Dropbox, or via WiFi.

It's the same save file being synced.

Personally, I'd much rather use iCloud, as I don't have to set up yet another account. And, it'd in fact, just work.

And I would still be glad they have the Rovio account as an option, so that others could use it that need it, and for it to be an option for me in the future if I started using other platforms.

Everyone comes out ahead!

24. macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

10 accounts in 1 year? A couple is understandable, but I don't know anyone that has had 10 accounts hacked in their entire life, let alone in 1 year. Yikes, you are unlucky. :(

25. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Yeah. Right after they leaked the Yahoo details, someone actually tried to break into my iTunes account to the point where it reset the password. :( It wasn't even the same password (of course :rolleyes:).

This last time, someone tried to spend $400 something online at Wal-Mart. :rolleyes: I only have that debit card connected to my Netflix account.