Roxio launches Toast 8 Titanium

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 8, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: News and Press Releases
    Link: Roxio launches Toast 8 Titanium
    Description:: Toast 8 Titanium is a significant upgrade to its industry-leading Mac disc burning software.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors member

Supports Blu-ray burning. Blu-ray equipped Macs tomorrow?

3. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Supports TiVo also, on the list of technologies that will not be integrated into your Mac tomorrow. :D

4. macrumors 68040

acearchie

Surely its suggesting getting a mac complatible blu-ray player and plugging it into your mac?!

But a release so close to the keynote could mean other things, methinks?

!

5. macrumors 6502a

now you can choose exactly which movies, extras and menus to keep when copying a dvd, much better.

all i want now is animated menus when creating a dvd like on idvd, oh and widescreen menus.

6. macrumors 68000

if MacPro = 2 x Quad + Blu-Ray then buy

Credit card hangover Wednesday coming up.

Enjoy!!

7. macrumors P6

~Shard~

I like how Jam functionality is integrated - now I no longer need both apps! :cool:

8. macrumors 6502

Great. They release this just when my future wife buys me Toast 7 for Christmas :mad:

9. macrumors P6

~Shard~

I believe there's a 30-day money back guarantee with Toast - you could look into returning it perhaps.

10. macrumors 68040

shamino

I think the meaning is simple. If you buy this or this or this (or any other similar device) for your Mac, they want to be able to support it.

11. macrumors 6502

I bought Toast 7 for 59.99 and I can return it within since I'm within. New version is 79.99 (Man, I hate mail-in rebates-- why do companies persist in using them?). Anyone here used it yet and can comment on whether the changes are worth it?

Also, I'm concerned that my EyeTV integration with Toast will break. Anyone know anything about that?

12. macrumors P6

Peace

Apple,Elgato and Roxio have been working closely on this.I wouldn't worry.

13. macrumors 6502

lol I DISTURBED THE ENTIRE LIBRARY thank you.

14. macrumors 68030

Bought it. The interface is less Mac-like than before IMHO, and not to my taste. They have ditched Magic Mouse Discus in favour of a limited version of Disc Cover.

The online upgrade price in the UK is £29.99 if you have Jam 6, Popcorn 2 or Toast 7, otherwise you pay £69.99 - soon to rise to £79.99. Ouch! We do not get mail-in rebates, such as offered on Buy.com in the States.

It seems faster, though. Toast 7 takes two bounces to start on my MBP C2D, and Toast 8 just about one bounce.

15. macrumors 68040

shamino

Real simple. Lots of people forget to send in the coupons, and end up paying full price.

And the rebate-fulfilment people can conveniently "lose" your paperwork or reject your request for bogus reasons, delaying your rebate indefinitely. Historically, I've had to make phone calls and send nastygrams to Roxio in order to get every single rebate, so I suspect they are actually using this as a profit center.

16. macrumors regular

This may be a stupid question but...
    you can't use the blu ray support on this app unless you have a blu ray burner can you? I suppose it won't work with a superdrive, correct?

17. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Not a stupid question - you're correct. Toast supports burning to Blu ray discs via Blu Ray burners, but you obviously require said burner installed on your machine in the first place. It's no different that saying Toast has DVD burning capabilities although some people who use it might be using older Macs with combo drives, not superdrives (and could therefore not burn DVDs since they are lacking the proper hardware.)

18. macrumors regular

Gotcha. Thanks ~Shard~. I really haven't seen any blu ray burners for Mac yet, nor have I looked at all. But i'll wait until the blu-ray/HD war is settled before I jump into it all.

19. macrumors P6

~Shard~

No problem at all. And for the record, there are several Blu Ray burners now on the market, so it's not like no one will be able to use this functionality for a while.

20. macrumors 68040

shamino

See my previous post.

I pointed out links to three burners (two USB/FW, one internal IDE). There are others as well.

They're not being sold as Mac devices, but there's really no such thing as a Mac-specific disc burner of any kind. It's just a matter of having compatible burning software. Which is what Roxio has announced.

21. macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

i just bought toast 7 at end of Nov, and i contacted Roxio. Unfortunately they are saying i have to buy toast 8 for the full upgrade price.

this is bs customer service they have. I JUST BOUGHT IT.

lame company

22. macrumors 603

Markleshark

Got it yesterday, and I may need more RAM (Only 512Meg here) but frack™ its a system hog. :eek:

23. macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Toast 7 was a system hog too. Thats why I download and burn things on my desktop rather than my new MB....I hate the sound of the fans running full speed for a couple hrs straight trying to encode a movie. Cant be good for it.

But to stay on topic...just got Toast 8 and I like it better than 7 :)

24. macrumors 603

aswitcher

I have a couple of questions.

How well does this work with elgato recorded programs? Is it really simple to select a program and burn it?

DVD copying. Does T8 just allow me to through in something like the incredibles, and it will simply allow me to select waht I want and then burn it is a single layer DVD in Divx? What about DRM?

25. macrumors regular

HD Recordings?

I want to know if anyone has experience with EyeTV and HD recordings.

What I want to easily do is create a DVD disc of 4 episodes of a show, say the show 24 from the HD recordings of my TV MiniHD. So far all I've seen is "no transcoding" needed for Standard Def recordings.

There is terribly little documentation of this around right now. Please help!

--HG