Roxio Popcorn vs Toast

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by niter, Feb 20, 2005.

1. niter macrumors 6502

My husband recently purchased an external DVD burner to go with our computers (mainly his powerbook). He bought one specifically Mac compatible and he has been able to watch DVDs from the drive on his powerbook and watch AND burn from his old PC. We know the drive works, but he cannot burn from his PB.

I advised him to look into Toast as from these boards, I get the general feeling it is the best software to have for DVD burning. However, I noticed on Roxio's site a program called Popcorn.

Popcorn fits more into our price range and seems to do everything we want. The main reason for the DVD burner was to make backups of large files we have (his dissertation does not even fit on a CD) and maybe some DVD backup of our home movies. Will Popcorn fit for us?

Thanks!

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Popcorn is a subset of Toast and *only* burns DVD images and VIDEO_TS folders. It won't burn any kind of CD, etc. It's only purpose is to backup DVD movies/video. Toast, on the other hand, can burn just about anything you can think of from a large variety of sources.

3. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

There is also MacBurn that can be used to make burning CDs a little easier, and its not as expensive as Toast.