Roxio Toast, Popcorn, mactheripper, etc...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ontheuptick, Jan 19, 2006.

1. ontheuptick macrumors member

A few questions.. I just bought an Intel iMac. I want to burn DVD's.

1. Should I wait to buy DVD burning software until they make it Intel ready?
    2. What should I get, Popcorn, Toast, other?
    3. Am I right that I'll have to download mactheripper to rip the disc, and then use popcorn or toast to burn it?

Thanks

2. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

I believe Toast can "duplicate" a disc automatically with only one disc drive, probably by saving it to your computer and reburning it. This might be the easiest and fastest way.

Of course you could, as you said, rip the DVD using mactheripper and reburn it using Toast. The advantage of doing this is that you will be removing any encryption and region codes, so your DVD could be viewed in other countries.

I don't think its necessary to wait for Intel versions of your apps.

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

MTR doesn't yet work on Intel Macs. But you might head over to the forums on http://www.ripdifferent.com and see how it is going.
    Toast 7 has Popcorn's functionality included. But AFAIK there is no universal binary yet either. Without MTR you'll have to sit tight and wait anyway. If more people donate to him he might get it done a lot faster. Otherwise you'll just have to wait. ;)

Edit: All considering you'll want to make copies of commercial DVDs. If not Toast 7 will do just fine and I think will run under Rosetta (although I am not sure)

4. ontheuptick thread starter macrumors member

So using Toast 7 I can burn a commerical DVD copy? I thought you had to rip it with mtr and then burn using toast or popcorn... I didn't think you could do it all in one program, is this correct?

5. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

As I wrote... for commercial DVDs you'll need MTR. For home DVDs Toast is sufficient.

6. road dog macrumors regular

You should definitely buy Toast 7 instead of Popcorn... it does everything in Popcorn plus more for not much more $.

It is not a UB yet... but the Rosetta performance of the Popcorn features in Toast seem to be pretty good.

7. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

will you be able to use the current version of toast using rosetta on an intel mac? i dont want to have to buy a new toast version when i get my new intel mac.

8. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I would be shocked it any of those programs work with the intel macs. At least not for a while anyway.

9. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Why? The only one currently not working in Rosetta is MTR. The other ones work fine from what I hear.

10. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Does Toast do auto-compression like Popcorn does?

Example...I'm going to make a copy of a DVD. I rip it using MacTheRipper. The resulting folder has 6 GBs of stuff. Unfortunately, I only have a single-layer DVD burner (Rev A iMac G5)...so I need to compress the video some in order to fit it on a single disc. Will Toast do that? I know Popcorn will?

Just curious...I suppose this is slightly off-topic since the original poster's machine has dual-layer burning (I think).

11. ontheuptick thread starter macrumors member

I think that's one of the main differences between toast and popcorn

12. dr427 macrumors regular

dr427

I was ready to buy Toast, but then I got lucky and got Popcorn on ebay for $10 a couple of months ago. :D

13. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

The new Toast 7 has compression included.

14. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Popcorn needed a patch update after Panther > Tiger...i would think that the same would be true for the Intel move.

15. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

It's a different situation since this the code change will be emulated through Rosetta. AFAIK Toast and Popcorn work in Rosetta. MTR does not, yet.

16. dkozi macrumors newbie

has anyone tried any of the other ripping tools yet with the intel chip (ie. yade)? i know there are others but their names escape me right now.

17. cliffrouse11bas macrumors regular

Bump. I need to find a software also for replacing mactheripper

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

Toast 7 has most of Popcorn included. And popcorn ain't that hot (imo), it only does non-copy-protected DVDs.

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Not sure why people claim MTR doesn't work - I have a 17" Intel iMac, just arrived Wednesday, base model except for 1.5GB RAM (added 3rd party 1GB stick). MTR 2.6.6 just ripped a DVD for me, no problems whatsoever. Playing it now w/DVD Player.

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Agreed - Toast 7 all the way for me, baby. Does everything I need. :cool:
    Throw in MtR and Handbrake as well of course...

21. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Except commercial DVD copying, right? I need to protect my investment in Disney DVDs, and, for now, do so w/MTR and Toast 6. If Toast 7 did commercial ones, I'd upgrade....

22. road dog macrumors regular

Both Toast 7 and Popcorn have the same features to copy DVDs:

1. compress large DVDs to fit onto standard blank DVDs
    2. extract main title, audio and language so less compression needed -> better quality

Toast 7 can also convert DVD titles and chapters into other video formats like DivX, MPEG4 and H.264 so you can watch these on a DivX player, PSP or iPod.

Both Toast 7 and Popcorn run fine on Intel Macs in the Rosetta emulation environment - as do 90% of all Mac software. MOST software is not Intel-native at this time and won't be any time soon.

23. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I use Toast and it's great.However..
    During some benchmarking I discovered Toast under Rosetta will only burn at 2X for a DVD.Wheras Apple says the burner is 8X..

24. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Mac the ripper and DVD2oneX

Rip it with MAC THE RIPPER AND BURN IT WITH DVD2oneX..

All I use..

25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Correct - that's why it helps to read white text... :p ;)