RPC.net causing new MBP Core 2 Duo to overload.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JackSYi, Nov 24, 2006.

1. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

I have a new MBP Core 2 Duo. And recently some process called: rpc.net is causing my cpu's to overload to 100% and thus causing my fans to run full speed non-stop. What is this rpc.net, and does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

2. FritzMills macrumors newbie

RPC.NET Problem

I, too, have a brand new MBP, and I, too, have noticed this problem. But it cropped up for me for the first time today, and I've had the machine for a week. The last thing I installed before it started was LaunchBar, so it might be related to that. Do you have LaunchBar installed? If not, we can rule it out. According to a link on a Mac blog on O'Reilly, "XML-RPC.NET is a library for implementing XML-RPC Services and clients in the .NET environment, supporting versions 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 of the .NET runtime. The library has been in development since March 2001 and is used in many open-source and business applications."

That doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the Mac, but it was in a blog in the Mac DevCenter.

3. JackSYi thread starter macrumors 6502a

I reinstalled OS X and it went away for a couple weeks. But it came back. I don't have LaunchBar installed. Do you have either Lojack for Laptops or Quicksilver?

4. jvaughan macrumors newbie

rpc.net 100 percent CPU

My son and I both recently purchased MackBooks along with LoJack for laptops. We have both experienced the rpc.net problem, my son more than I - the symptom being the fan running full speed and 100 percent CPU utilization, etc. This forum is the only info I found hinting that LoJack for laptops may be the problem. I am going to try to get in touch with LoJack for laptops to see if they are aware of any issues. I'll let you know what I find out. In the meantime, I've just been killing the process (or processes - my son had two running taking 50% each).

5. Euge macrumors regular

Euge

I'm having the exact same issue. I have a black MacBook CD2, only a couple of weeks old, and have noticed the rpc.net on a couple of occasions. I, too, have LoJack for laptops installed.

I'll get in touch with LoJack for laptops as well, and update this thread if I hear anything.

6. azntiger macrumors newbie

This is the only place I can find the same issue as this. My Activity Monitor reports a rpc.net that bascially runs my cpu 100% sending my fans into over drive. So far I just force quit the item and everything calms down again. I also have Lojack which has to be the common theme.

I contacted Lojack support and spoke to a very rude person that wouldn't believe me nor help me, plus he said he has never received this issue. Rpc is Remote Procedure Calls which is for Windows obviously due to being an exe. Anything I've googled to know luck on this problem other than same reports by the people in this thread I'm going to try uninstalling then reinstalling lojack. Then try to call the support again with the more information I have. I'll give Apple a try too. I'll report back.

7. Euge macrumors regular

Euge

After my last post I uninstalled then reinstalled lojack and so far I haven't had any issues.

8. elal macrumors newbie

Lojack for Laptops

I too am experiencing the CPU overload, and I too have lojack for laptops installed. I am going to uninstall and reinstall lojack for laptops and I will let you know my results.

UPDATE 01-16-2007 11:59AM PST:

I uninstalled Computrace Lojack software and immediately the CPU consumption went down to a trivial amount. There is no longer any question in my mind that Computrace's software is the culprit. I have reinstalled the Lojack software, and am not experiencing any anomolous CPU usage. Only in the event that I continue to experience anomolous CPU usage will I update this post again.

UPDATE 01-17-2007 10:27AM PST:

I have received word back from Computrace. Message follows:
    UPDATE 01-22-2007 7:10AM PST:
    Like other people have recently reported, I too still experience the race condition. The issue is not fixed yet.

UPDATE 01-25-2007 8:58AM PST:
    See below for resolution regarding this issue.

9. JackSYi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats exactly what they said to me through email. They said probably sometime this week, and so far I haven't had rpc.net freak out so I'm thinking its fixed?

10. composer22 macrumors newbie

I had the same message as you guys did via email. I recently uninstalled and reinstalled the software and I am still getting the race condition happening. They have not fixed the issue yet...

11. Euge macrumors regular

Euge

For the first time since I uninstalled and reinstalled lojack for laptops (almost a month ago), I had the issue again. This time it was worse than ever.

I force quit the process about 4 times, each time it happened again within minutes. So I rebooted, and within a couple minutes TWO processes were taking up all my resources.

I guess I'll try reinstalling again. I hope they come out with an update soon.

12. Euge macrumors regular

Euge

Well, I've had to completely uninstall. No matter how many times I restart or reinstall, the rpc processes refuse to play nice.

I think I at least figured out why, though. On their support page, under communication, it shows how to use a url to test connectivity. I can't access this page. Judging by their explanation given to elal, once they get their server up, I should be able to reinstall.

Though I'm worried that their server has been down this long. Can anyone else access the url ?

Edit: I removed the test url because I realized you can only access this information if you're logged in, so it might be a bit sensitive.

13. SUPERNOVA macrumors newbie

RPC overheat

that's it. i was running into the same problem. thank you to this forum because I never would have guessed. once removing Lojack then all was well. I've since asked them for either my money back or a fix. I'll update what they reply. best regards.

14. Euge macrumors regular

Euge

A few changes worth noting

The test url is back up, but the reference to it has been removed from the support page.

So I tried reinstalling, which hung on both the install and reinstall. I restarted and tried again and was successful. I think its been changed or upgraded because the installation procedure changed a bit. I noticed it now starts a new application during the installation.

So far the install looks better. Its called into lojack and hasn't gone bonkers on me.

As usual I'll post to this thread with any updates.

15. Euge macrumors regular

Euge

I've confirmed with support that the update hasn't been release yet and they're still working on it. So far, though, I haven't the issue yet, though I suppose its only a matter of time.

16. elal macrumors newbie

Update Report

Thanks for the Update Euge. I asked support to notify me (or this thread) when the update is made available. Supposedly, our computers will update themselves, but I still asked for confirmation. Given the way this entire situation has been handled by the company, I personally do not expect to receive any unsolicited confirmation of the issue being resolved. I guess we should keep prodding.

17. elal macrumors newbie

Resolution

Hey everyone, just got this email from Lojack:

I have not yet installed the update, so I can't verify it works. But at least it looks like I was wrong when I said I didn't expect an auto-reply. Kudos to Computrace.

18. Euge macrumors regular

Euge

Yeah, I just got the email as well. My dealings with support were only one email, so I have nothing bad to say about them. So getting this proactive email from them is a good thing.

I'll be reinstalling soon and will likely only update this thread if I continue to have problems.

19. Euge macrumors regular

Euge

Quick Update: Install procedure

FYI -- I followed the email instructions and used the Transfer License button to upgrade. I wouldn't suggest doing that because there seemed to be a problem with the install, and it caused the 100% CPU problem again.

I resolved it by unisntalling, restarting, then installing again. Things went as expected that time and I hope this'll be the last I see of the problem.

20. elal macrumors newbie

Installtion Successful

I too experienced a problem, but it occured when I tried to do a license uninstall and then a license install. A reboot was required (though not stated) after the uninstall. When I rebooted and installed again, everything installed okay. Hopefully this issue is now completely resolved.