Rpg games

Discussion in 'Games' started by EvilDoc, Jul 25, 2005.

1. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

can any one point me at some good rpg games i can play with my mac mini? i have been playing neverwinters night for a couple of weeks now but i want some thing eles. iam not sure if i can go thru diablo 2 again ( ive have beat that game more times then i can count )... any other ideas?

Btw my mini is 1.42 with a gig of ram if it makes a diff ;)

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Either you are awesome at video games or you suck at counting. :D

I really liked Fallout 2. It's a couple years old now, but still a very good game. Not the best graphics or the most amazing sound, but the ability to really shape your own story is excellent. I don't see any reason that your mini couldn't handle it.

3. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

well i was in the navy so i had a ton of free time :D .. they never port fallout tatics did they?

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

--Dungeon Siege is really good, and very simple RPG adventure.
    --Fallout 2 is also good, as mentioned.
    --Diablo 2 may interest you, it's more of a hack and slash game, more than an RPG.
    --Try Heroes of Might And Magic 3. It is only for classic but with such few system requirements, you will experience absolutely no problems with your mini.
    --Neverwinter Nights is good, but far too complex for me, the poor FPS player. Anyway, you may be into complexity, so I suggest you try it out in some sort of demo or something like that...

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Another example why one should read the thread before answering ;)

If you liked NWN, you could also try Baldur's Gate 1 & 2.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Final Fantasy IX :D

The graphics aren't the best, but it's fun :)
    You'll need the USA version, and a copy of Flarestorm.

Attached Files:

7. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure you would consider this, but World of Warcraft is amazing and worth the money. They have roleplaying servers that you can play on. Its worth checking out.

lasuther

8. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Im not to sure if this will run on a mac mini, ask somoene at the store, but try out Star War sKnights of the old republic, one of the best rpgs Ive had the pleasure of playing thsi year.

9. EvilDoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

is kotor 2 out for mac? or is never gonna come out?

10. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Nice. I've just tried that Flarestorm of yours.

It runds my games about 2x too fast, no sounds, and in a small window. Is there a way to better configure this?

Thanks.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's not out. Who knows if it will be. Look to Aspyr for the game-port.

12. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

Heroes of Might and Magic 4 was released for Mac and runs fine in OS X (without classic). Heroes isn't exactly a role playing game. It involves some role-playing, but is mostly a strategy game. A lot of loyal Heroes fans didn't like it because they rebuilt the game from the ground up, but i found that even though it took a while to get used to, it was the only version of Heroes where there weren't a lot of loopholes that allowed cheating. It's not in stores anymore though, so you'd have to find it on eBay.

Fallout was actually more fun than Fallout 2 in my opinion, even though the graphics are better in fallout 2. The story and the characters are more interesting in the original. The two both rank in my top five games of all time and are numbers 1 and 2 in my most underrated games of all-time list.

Unlike Diablo, both of these games are turn based. I don't know if that's a turn off for you.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You need to enable and configure the appropriate plugins. I have the following enabled:

carbonsoundbridge.dylib
    Keyboard.fsplugin
    HIDDevice.fsplugin
    MemoryCardImage.fsplugin
    logger.fsplugin
    cddevice.fsplugin
    cdimage.fsplugin
    cdbuffer.dylib
    OpenGLFullScreen.fsplugin
    gpu.dylib
    nullspu.dylib
    spu.dylib
    Config.fsplugin
    memorycard_fs.dylib
    stdsystem.fspluginpack
    JapaneseSupport.fsplugin

Turn those on (and everything else off) and see how you get on.

14. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Nice. Now everything works perfectly.

Do you know the keyboard shortcut to switch from fullscreen mode to window mode? (So I can save my games)

I really love the option to create disk image and play from them. Very good for my laptop. This app is fantastic!

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Pressing Command-Dot will pause the emulator and return you to the GUI. You can also create a memory card image and save to that, like with a real PSX.

16. Eomando macrumors member

If you've still got NWN sitting there, try playing on some of the persistant worlds online. Personally I play here: http://merpuk.wireplay.co.uk/ and I've not gotten bored yet - there're plenty of servers out there to suit all tastes I think. :)