RSS News Reader Roundtable

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Logik, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Logik macrumors 6502a

This was posted on Slashdot but i thought i'd post it here as well. It's a roundtable discussion on RSS feeds from 5 major developers of RSS readers. I'm sure there's a few people out there who haven't heard of RSS readers before so this could stir some interesting discussion i hope.

Here's a good description of RSS at wikipedia

EDIT: oops guess i should've posted the link to the roundtable to eh? Read it here

What is your favorite client and what features does it have that you like above the others?

Also what are some of your favorite RSS feeds? I'm always looking for something interesting to read.

2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I have netnewswire in my dock. I gave newsfire a try but couldn't get the 3 panel view like in netnewswire that I find easy and quick.

3. Logik thread starter macrumors 6502a

i actually tried all 5 of them.. i seem to prefer Shrook myself. I also couldnt justify the $40 for netnewswire... OUCH... It might be a nice app but dang. $40? Shrook is pretty nice and allows you to scrapbook certain news items for later reading .. i did this for a few stories and it's been a real help later on when i go "oh crap, what was that story... "

It's also only $25 ;)

I tried NewsFire and while it's pretty simple doesn't offer a lot in features.

PulpFiction seems to be pretty neat and is more my style as it seems to function a bit like Shrook does. But didn't download that one to try yet.

They all seem to cater to different types of users, which i guess is a good thing.

4. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

The lite version isn't too bad.
    comparisons

5. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I've always used NewsFire for its simplicity. It does what I need, and is fast doing it.
    –Chase

6. Logik thread starter macrumors 6502a

i agree with that it is VERY simplictic but does its job. pretty impressive in how simple it is.. though i felt the graphical "elements" of it were slightly annoying but i didn't try to turn those off so... not real concerned.