RSS Reader Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sabbath, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

As I find myself wasting more and more time checking various news sites, and have a bit of free time available to set it up, I've decided it's time to jump onto the RSS bandwagon. So as ever I turn to the macrumors faithful for advice.

Which readers do people use? What are the pro and cons of each? And which would you recommend to someone on a budget (i.e. a free version is preferable)?

I'm currently looking at NetNewsWire Lite any opinions?

I did a quick search but couldn't find any threads that really pinned down peoples’ opinions on the best readers , mainly just a few recommendations in the general app/utility threads. So I apologise if this is covered in another thread.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't know what's good for you but I'm satisfied with the RSS support in Firefox. Add a site and bookmarks show up for each article the site provides. It may or may not do much else--I haven't found a reason to look further, but it is free.

3. Logik macrumors 6502a

I have used two RSS readers both of which I love, one is free, the other is $25

Shrook is amazingly great, especially if you have A TON of RSS feeds to read, also lets you create "scrapbooks" which allow you to save your favorite stories to a scrapbook for later viewing.

NewsFire is very simplistic and if you only read say.. 10-15 feeds this might work perfectly fine for you, it's free for now (beta), but works really well despite being beta. Doesn't have the scrapbook feature which I am rather sad about, and i made the recommendation to the author.

PulpFiction, NetNewsWire, and NewsMac are others you could try.

do some searches and you can easily find these applications

I posted an RSS roundtable discussion awhile back.. read that here...

http://www.drunkenblog.com/drunkenblog-archives/000337.html

4. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

A good online alternative to desktop based apps is My Yahoo. http://my.yahoo.com has incorporated RSS aggregators into their beta version of their free portal.

The only problem I have found are sites that will ban your IP if you request their RSS too frequently (slashdot) as I don't think Yahoo! caches them. This may have changed however since I last tried.

6. live4ever macrumors 6502a

I like NewsTicker - very simple, it just displays feeds like a stocker ticker on the Desktop.

www.nullriver.com

7. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I use Newfire on my Mac when I use an RSS reader. Mostly I don't use it much though as i mainly use Sage in Firefox on my PC at work and don't really check out my feeds at home.

8. Sabbath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and opinions. I'll give them all a quick go and see how they feel. I do like the look of Shrook but am not convinced about paying for a reader until I can compare it to the safari reader in Tiger (otherwise I could end up paying for a reader for just a couple of moths use!). Newsfire looks pretty damn good too..

9. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I use Slashdock for RSS feeds, and it works pretty well. Very unobtrusive as well.

10. Logik macrumors 6502a

Newsfire is free, try it out. Shrook gives a 15 day trial or 30 trial i believe. I think it's worth the money, especially if you have A LOT of feeds. the scrapbook feature is a big one for me, i use the scrapbook feature for saving articles i like for later use... no other reader (that i have tried) has this. However i'm waiting for NewsFire to see if they will implement something similar.