RSS readers redundant?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by n8236, Oct 7, 2006.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

I just dled Vienna for all types of feeds being congregated, but I'm wondering how useful it really is. I have all my blog sites bookmarked and all I do is click on it to scroll through all the articles. Doesn't it seem sorta redundant to have another app open just to read feeds you can so readily do on the webbrowser or am I missing something here? I'm new to this who RSS feed thing, so plz spare me :D

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Vienna is nice, and I used it for a while, but since I discovered Sage (a Firefox add-on/extension) and later Google Reader, I've not had any need for a stand-alone RSS reader... :)

Tip: You can export your feeds from Vienna and import them in the Google Reader... most RSS readers support the OPML format... :)

3. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

Dude, Sage looks off the hook! Definitely saves me from an additional app running.

So I just got Vienna all set up, but it seems like some feeds from certain sites don't come up immediately to the Vienna window, but rather just a one sentence summary of the feed which requires the user to click it that opens in its internal browser. Does that happen because I have the wrong RSS URL, or just the way the RSS is coded on those sites?

I think i'm gonna import all my RSS subscriptions to Sage and see how that works out, it seems so much more convenient.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Nice thing about Sage is that you can make your own CSS scripts to make it look exactly as you want.

I made this one, based on Iceblog, found on Sage: Syles

Attached Files:

5. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

I've been using Google Reader the past few weeks and I love its simplicity and convenience, but there seems to be a problem w/ reviving articles i've read as unread. It's extremely annoying and seems as though only some of the RSS feeds do this while others don't. I wonder if it's the coding of the site or w/ Google Reader.