RSS Visualizer screensaver not showing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ZAK248313, Jan 23, 2006.

1. ZAK248313 macrumors member

Just got a different iMac at work with OSX v10.4.4 on it but the RSS Visualizer screensaver isnt showing up in the screen saver list.

Can anyone help me?

2. jMc macrumors 6502

jMc

Only Macs with Quartz Extreme support show the RSS Visualiser and Spectrum screensavers as far as I can tell. At least I only get them showing up on my old PCI based B&W when by using PCI Extreme to enable Quartz Extreme.

What type of iMac is the one you have at work?

jx

3. ZAK248313 thread starter macrumors member

The screensaver is coming up in the systems folder though but not in the screensaver list in prefs.

Its an old iMac. One of those bubble shaped ones. I can check the exact type when I get in tomorrow if that makes a difference though.

Whats Quartz Extreme? Sorry, dont know much about Macs. Only use one at work.

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/quartzextreme/

But is it disabled in current releases of Tiger, since it's bugged. It will be enabled in later versions.

But since it's disabled, that means that the RSS screensaver should work on non-quart extreme enabled macs.... I don't know why it doesn't work on yours...

5. jMc macrumors 6502

jMc

Where did you hear this? All my Macs are 10.4.4 and are taking advantage of QE - there'd be a huge performance hit in interface elements otherwise.

To the OP - AFAIK, none of the CRT iMacs have graphics cards which support QE (they topped out at 16MB Rage Pros I believe) - I used to own one. What type of machine were you using before on which you could use the RSS screensaver?

jx

6. ph0rk macrumors 6502

No, you are thinking of Quartz 2d Extreme, which while named similarly is completely unrelated. See: http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/14

FWIW, you need something along the lines of a Radeon or better (or geforce... 2? 3?) to run QE - you must have native OpenGL support - something I think few if any of the 'bubble' (I assume you mean CRT) iMacs have stock. Per apple-history.com, the most advanced card in CRT iMacs was a rage 128 - no QE on those cards.

No QE, no RSS screensaver.