rsync and big files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by opusthe2nd, Aug 3, 2006.

1. opusthe2nd macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

Anyone ever have an issue using rsync and trying to copy big files? I have a 4.3G zip file and when I try to backup using:

rsync -av --delete --exclude="Library/Caches" * /Volumes/"SEA_DISK 2"/Pete/

I get to that file and it chokes, telling me 'file to big'.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Probably just a 32 bit (4 GB) file size limitation. Seems like this limit was removed on some platforms a while ago...

Where did you get your rsync? Are you using the one built in to OS X or a different one.

B

3. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Anybody know of a good guide to Rsync for idiots? I would rather learn to use it than by ChronoSync.

5. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

What I am starting to wonder, is there not a better avenue to go than rsync? Isnt rsync mainly for over a network? What about CPIO or DUMP or Tar?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The main advantage of rsync is that it doesn't copy data that is already current. None of the others you mention will do that, but if time isn't an issue....

B

7. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

The others will do incrementals, but I am not sure to what extent. Its been a few years since I used them and I have forgot everything.

8. nutmac macrumors 68030

9. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

Interesting, we do a lot of that in the BSD world.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Interesting articles. There's definitely more to backup than making sure the data is preserved! (Although for some uses that's enough).

IIRC the main difference between the way rsync works for updates vs. some of the other tools is the smallest chunk of data that gets updated. For the others if a file has changed, the whole thing needs to be updated. For rsync, only the changed portions are transferred. This works great for large files where data is appended...

B

11. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

Yes, that is correct. I guess thats what makes it 'slick'. Especially if you have a large amount of data.

How can rsync be updated in OS X? The version on the curremt OS is 2 yrs old...and has issues. 2.6.3 while the newest is 2.6.8, with major updates.

One would think OS X would keep current.