RTCW : mapping on a mac? What tools???

Discussion in 'Games' started by manuel, Jan 12, 2004.

1. manuel macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

It's been a time since I started playing RTCW, and when it came to feel interested in creating my own custom Maps, or Mods (still don't know exactly the difference), I just didn't find any answers to my questions wich remains the following :
    "Ok, there are thousands of sites and tools and things for the PC, but what is there for the Mac RTCW player? Where are the tools or whatever information on how to do maps..."
    I thank you for giving me some clues, cause on my own I don't find anything but PC information on this subject.

Manuel

2. manuel thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello again and again,

Well I have had some answers to this question on another tread, two guys told me about it, however it doesn't seem that easy... That's why I just ask again :

- About PakRat, this one could be cool but it doesn't seem to work on my computer, or maybe is there something I didn't get, I open a .pk3 to see what there's inside, and I just can see numbers... no graphics at all...
    - About GtkRAdiant, there is a minimum config by apple that asks for OSX.3 (Panther), which I don't have. I'm using OS 9.2.2, and OSX.2.8. So what am I to do...

Another thing is I don't even know a thing about maping yet, so if anyone could tell me what it looks like, some idea so I can imagine the type of work it is...

Also RTCW works fine on my iMac DV 400, but only using OS9, it loads extremely slow on OSX, I had to restart the computer. So will I have to restrain to system 9 for map (is it even possible...) or will it be possible using OSX...

You see... I'm still in "no man's land", ...

Many thanks for your answers.

Manuel

3. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I dont have any idea, and I doubt many people here do.

Do you have a background in 3D modeling/animation or even game scripting? Almost all games are made for PCs by PCs, then ported to Macs. If you are really serious about getting into this, I would suggest doing it on a PC.

4. manuel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer Agreenster, your opinion may be the true one, though it would be a definitely frustrating thing to admit that you can't go into mapping on a mac...
    I just hope there is some more solution around there, before I knew nothing, now I know it'll be hard... that's better than desperate.
    Got to get with someone doing it on mac. At the apple download center, they say OSX is fully compatible or whatever with 3D rendering and all that stuff about mapping... Didn't something exist before, for Jaguar, or even OS9? The whole problem is there.

Thanks for any more comments.

5. Jonathan Amend macrumors member

6. manuel thread starter macrumors newbie

Well as Agreenster asked about background in 3d modelling or animation, or scripting, I must say that I'm a newbie on that too, for now I'm just practicing on Cinema 4D, I'm using those tutorials which can be easily be found on the net, it's quite new to me, but fascinating.
    So for now I'm just trying to have a overall view of the whole process of 3d mapping... Some personal view from experimented guys would be fine on that point. Do you think, using Cinema 4D will help getting the few essential concepts of 3D mapping?
    Now I've found the solution to my X11 for OSX.2.8 issue above (or on the other thread called "opening pk3 files", but still am having some trouble configuring the "finch" (application?) which is supposed to automatically download gtkradiant. I'm asking some help on "map-center" for that issue... if anyone here knew a bit about it, it'd be fine too. I don't remember to have ever met such a complicated (although documented : http://www.qeradiant.com/wikifaq/index.php?Installation on OSX ) installation procedure on a macintosh...

Waiting for answers, I keep on using hypernurbs, extruding, primitive objects, edges, segments or textures on my 4D Cinema ...

Manuel