RtCW MP Servers? What The?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Balin64, May 27, 2004.

1. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

I just got Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Single player is great, but now I want to check out the multi player. Problem is, everytime I try to join a game, I get one of two errors: something about the server detecting an impure client with .pk3 files that can't be referenced, OR something about maps. I have a speedy DSL connection, and I have PunkBuster turned on (although I don't know what that is exactly). I have the latest update to the game.

So, where can I go to find a server that will actually let me join? This is the first game I ever buy, I hate consoles and don't understand hardcore gamers (sorry guys) so I am new at this. I don't want to sit there playing all night, but I want to check it out and maybe play a little with other humans.

By the Way, the game kicks butt. I love sniping guys with the scope rifles. And I hate those damn elite guard bitches. I shot one in the face after she whopped me and took half my life (that's when I realized I should turn in for the night). And the last fight of the game with the resurrected guy is wicked hard: almost tooo hard for a newbie like myself. I could do without zombies, but setting them on fire is hell'a fun.

Anyways, thanks guys... do I dare ask: are there games similar to this one? My friend suggested Ghost Recon: but after watching him play, I realized two things: 1)it requires wayyyy too much patience (guys shoot you dead and half the time you don't even SEE them, can't stand that!) and 2) I really like the WWII theme: Nazis were baddies and deserve to be plunked. Cheerios! Suggestions welcome.

2. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Sometimes The games will have auto dl and others won't.

go to www.rtcwfiles.com and dl the maps

i recommend trench toast, and marketgarden

3. osprey76 macrumors 6502

That's odd you can't join the RTCW games. I've played that one since the first preview builds. Which file is an invalid .pk3? I know I've seen that error, but I have never seen it stick around on a second connect attempt. Now that I think about it is "pb" anywhere in the name? It could be old punkbuster files (basically an anticheat program.) I know there is a way to make punkbuster update itself from the command line in RtCW, but I don't recall how. There are some good sites with that kind of information, but I don't have them with me here. Maybe do a google search for RtCW and punkbuster.

Since you're into the WWII theme you should check out Call of Duty and the Medal of Honor series. These are "realistic" type games, so there are no zombies, and you get to work with squads of AI teammates at times. However, they are not like Ghost Recon where you go down in one shot (except for a sniper level in each.) I just finished Call of Duty last night and really enjoyed it. Also, Battlefield 1942 is coming to Mac next month. That's a blast! I look forward to getting online with that one.

4. vasaz macrumors member

You need to download this:

http://oregano.zianet.com/wolfenstein/patches/MacWolf141_fix.zip

..and place the 4 included files into the Wolfenstein/Main directory. It should ask if you want to replace 4 files that all ready there, say ya. Should work after that!

Oh yea, make sure you are running version 1.41 beta too...it's been beta for ever, but I think it's going to stay at that and works just fine with most servers I have tried.

One more thing! In the multiplayer window, on the top middle there is a "Multiplayer Setup" menu you can click. Make sure 'enable downloads' is on (I think it's off by default)...that will let you download any levels that you don't all ready have right from the server you are trying to connect to. Kinda convenient but it's usually a little slow ~12 kb/sec, and if you do a little searching you'll find all the maps from websites and be able to download them faster that way.

5. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Thanks Guys

I encounter the problem every time I try to join a server. I am pretty sure it is something like: "Connection failed. Server encountered impure client. Invalid .pk3 files referenced." I was able to join ONE server, summarily got shot twice very quickly, then I think the admin or the players decided they were playing another map, and then I got an error saying "incorrect map referenced" or something.

I installed the game after I bought it, and the installer offered to go online and check for updates, which I allowed. It updated it to something, but are there other patches that I should get to make MP work?

I wish Call of Duty had a demo! I went to the Aspyr website after your recommendation, and saw no demo. Damn! I just spent 30 bucks on Wolfenstein and I feel guilty about paying 50 dollars more a week after my firstr game purchase. I do not want to become a game junkie! My needy girlfriend already complained that I spent too much time playing last week.

6. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Hey Vasaz-Thanks

I will give it a go when I get home tonight. Thanks again.

BTW: I also dwell in Minnesowta for the moment. I dig Liquor Lyles... 2 for 1's... Yeay baby yeay.

7. ltgator333 macrumors member

BF 1942 for Mac??????

Serious crap???? I've played it on a freinds PC and he's got an Athlon 64 3000+ with a Geforce 4 Ti 128Mb video card and it runs reall smooth on that... what would it take do you think to run this game on a Mac? would a Radeon 7000 in a G3 500Mhz be able to run the game? and when does it come out and where to get it?
    Thanx,
    LT

8. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

I believe the specs were pretty hefty in the alpha version.
    aspyr is porting it. It was in their newsletter I'll see if I can find it

9. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

you can try getting Ureal Tournament and downloading some mods for it. One WW2 mod is The Third Reich also if you get UT2003 there is a mod called red orchestra that is pretty good
    Also look for medal of honor from Aspyr as well