Rubber/silicon vs. Hardplastic cases?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by vasovagal, Jan 7, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2013
    Kuwait - Philippines
    Which one do you prefer?, and do hardcases actually cause some scratches on iphone 5?
  2. macrumors 603

Aug 4, 2011
    Prefer mixed cases. Silicone next to phone, hard shell outer.

EG the Neo Hybrid Ex bumper. Or Tones.

Rubber/Silicone is porous, will collect dirt and hand oils, make sure you get this material in black or it's going to look dirty and gross in 1-2 months.
  3. macrumors member

Oct 3, 2012
    zoogue has the best case for the money. Not rubber or too soft but not hard plastic. It feels great and fit really nicely.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Oct 24, 2011
    My favorite is TPU. It is between plastic and silicone in terms of hardness. Best properties of both.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Sep 17, 2012
    both, like the otterbox commuter, combines best of both worlds
  6. macrumors member

Sep 30, 2011
    Looking for a good quality TPU case.
    Something Frost or Transparent for a White Iphone 5.
    Appreciate any recommendations.
  7. macrumors newbie

Jan 7, 2013
  8. macrumors 601

Feb 9, 2011

The case itself doesn't. In order for a material to scratch another material the first material has to be harder. Any case that allows in particles harder than the outer shell of the phone will lead to scratches.
  9. macrumors 68030

Apr 30, 2012
    i own both of these, the Diztronic is the best case i have found to fully suit all my requirements. its one step above the softer Minisuit.

Diztronic TPU - best all around. Fit was perfect, material is a harder TPU silicone and offers decent protection, even for small drops. My #1 recommendation.

Minisuit TPU - Softer TPU than the Diztronic and much easier to flex. Decent fit for a cheap case, and the smoke color is kind of cool.
  10. macrumors 65816

Sep 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    TPU will pick up staining in no time. Dark colors are not so noticeable. But frost or clear in TPU will not stay clean. Silicone is better than TPU for not picking up grime.
  11. macrumors regular

Nov 15, 2011
    United Kingdom
    I feel that the hardshell cases protect your phone more but when u do actually come to dropping (which i hope you dont!!) scratches tend to show more on the hard ones. The soft touch types generally dont bring up scratches if you drop it, they fit your phone better and they do not effect your actual phone itself i find. However they are more known for damaging the phone itself due to this.
    I am generally quite careful so i went for the soft touch and have stuck with this style since i bought my first ever iPhone.

Hope this had helped!!