Rude bastards on some forums....

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lucky736, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

Has anyone noticed that there are some extremely rude people here and otherwise that ask for help, then when you reply they try to make you be the ass for helping them out? Unappreciative bastards....... you know who you are.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There are occasionally a few who I regret trying to help... I make a mental note of their username so I don't inadvertently help them out in the future. ;)
    However, for the most part, I think people are appreciative - I guess if they don't come back with follow-up questions, we can assume the solution offered worked.

3. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

i've always tried to be nice..... i hope i haven't offended anyone....

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

example? 99% of your posts are in the market place, i have never seen anyone act like an ass to you.

nor has anyone to me, jiggy2g is an example of someone that i disagreed with allot but i never took offense to his difference in opinion (strangely enough he is now banned), sure people are idiots spamming but i have always found that people react to your treatment of them in very predictable ways, it's very rare to come across a completely irrational person who is just a jerk (i personally have met two in my whole life).

Also you people can take offense from misunderstanding, for example if someone says they are thinking about doing something and you tell them all you know on the subject treating them like a n00b through no fault of your own , then they reply that they infact know more than you and they dont need your help, this type of thing pops up all the time on forums and you just have to recognize it and get over it, in real life you can tell things by body language and the competence of the person in the subject at hand, however in forums you cannot.

all that needs taking into account, as i said most people are at the heart of it decent enough and most unpleasantness comes from a lack of social contact over the medium of the forum.

the only other problems would be people breaking rules (posting a million threads to sell an item (cough g4 cube cough), spamming ect) or being prejudice, or not being able to accept when one is wrong and responding in obscene ways (probably the cause of jiggy2g's banning).

but occasionally you do get a total jerk and then you just have to accept you will never get through to them and unsubscribe from the topic (never happened to me on these boards)

5. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

People have in the past acted like *******s to me on this forum. However, I think thats not because they are *******s, but some adults would rather hear an oppinion from an adult than a kid.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Everyone's usually really nice to me. I try to be helpful a bit of the time and it's pretty rare to get backlash from trying. Or maybe everyone's just scared of my 'tar...

7. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I have only had one (if i can remember) bad experiance with someone on these fourms and thats becuase they were rude and prejudice to me and other people... but they were soon banned. I hope I havn't offended anyone this has to be (one) the nicest community out there.

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Don't be so modest. Regulars beat you up too. :p

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

was not long ago you were one lancro ;)

i just remembered a problem i occasionally had, people discounting my opinion because of bad spelling/grammer which has no base in reality, i'm rather dyslexic yet out qualify most adults in this forum (i'm 16)

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No need to make mental notes: The Ignore list on the Control Panel works very nicely. I don't even have to remember why someone is on mine; their posts just don't show the contents. I'd prefer if their started threads didn't appear either, but hey, you can't have everything.

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

13. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Actually this is the most friendly forum I frequent...not sure what you're talking about!

14. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

For the most part, I think people here are very nice and helpful. But occasionally you come across someone who goes off on a dry, sarcastic and rude rant because of what THEY think is a stupid question. Other than that, I have gotten so much help thru MacRumors. I love you guys!

15. applekid macrumors 68020

Welcome to the Internet. Have a nice stay!

It's the Internet. People do what they want. Don't get bogged down by everything you read in forums.

16. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Good Point!

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I try to be nice, but have a tendency to go overboard...

Usually nice to newbies (only recall screaming at a n00b for not paying attention once...), it's the members with the equally strong opinions I get into spats with in debates. Sorry for anyone I've offended.

Anyway, are there any specifics? I haven't seen anyone being a jerk to the OP.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

*waves hands*

Hello? I don't think CanadaRam can see me.

Anyway, I say if you come across someone who was unquestionably rude to you (no, differences in opinion don't count), we can single them out and not help that person by posting their name and a link to the post in question in this thread. ;)

Its probably against the rules though, so maybe we should ask for permission first. :eek:

19. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It's because you don't show us your picture :) hehe

Ed

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Some people make themselves easy targets.

It's the lack of somebody like AlphaTech roaming the forums helping newbies, while making them run away screaming and crying at the same time.

Sure it makes coming to the forums a little nicer, but the rude little brats can get away with murder before somebody finally takes them out behind the woodshed for the spanking they deserve.

Of course since some people don't like spanking, I guess we may have to find a priest to punish the little stinkers.

21. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Everybody here is the coolest! I don't know why it took me 5 years of being a mac fan to find this place. 99 percent of all my questions have been answerd or been given very good attemps to be fixed. I just hope I have not made anyone feel bad about my sometimes double or triple posts. I am not trying to raise my post count(although I can't wait for an avatar)with double posts, I just sometimes do that to bump my thread to the top so people can help me out. Please PM me or just say right here if I am doing something wrong besides my spelling.

And being 13 I have no common sense.

22. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Lacero likes spankings, see some other topics :D

hehehehe

Ed
    *this is good wine

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Who wouldn't like being spanked, by the right person, under the right circumstances? :eek: ;) :eek:

I have run what Lucky describes. I think some people come across poorly online, without especially meaning to, because of where their communication skills, and their ability to convey emotion indirectly in writing, are. The same people might be a lot nicer in person. But who knows. They might indeed just be jerks. :(

24. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i certainly wouldn't mind being spanked by some people, one girl in particular comes to mind...... but thats off topic....

you can't make everyone happy, there is no point in trying half the time, that being said, there is no reason to go out of your way to piss people off either....

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Don't be hard on yourself. :)