Rude default hotspot password on iPhone 5 w/ T-mobile sim

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noodlelegs, Jan 11, 2013.

1. macrumors member

May 24, 2010
    I recently went into a t-mobile store to ask for a blank or deactivated t-mobile sim. I wanted it to do the t-mobile sim swap trick for getting MMS to work on the iphone 5. The 2 unfriendly t-mobile employees just stared at me blankly and I then I asked if I could just buy a blank t-mobile sim. They said no. They wanted so badly to deny me of what I wanted. So I eventually get it out of them that they can sell me a $10 t-mobile prepaid sim that comes with 5 days of service. So I bought the sim and they set me up with a new phone number and everything.
    I get home and pop the sim in and I was playing around with settings and I noticed that the default hotspot password was "fibber0445" - quite an odd default password if you ask me. Is that something that these 2 employees could have set up on my sim card while I was making the purchase? I was thinking that by "fibber" they were implying that I was lying to them about something.
  2. macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    While unfriendly and rude, you're definitely over thinking the password thing.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

May 24, 2010
    I thought I read that the default password would be the last 4 digits of my phone number or something like it. I guess my question is... is the hotspot password embedded on the sim card and can you change the default password when activating the sim?
  4. macrumors member

Sep 17, 2012
    It's just a random password, my default was "sick5210".
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2011
    maybe if it was like

fyou420 or something,

too much thinking bro relax
  6. macrumors P6

Aug 17, 2007
    Agreed. Not everyone is out to get you OP.:p
  7. macrumors 6502a

Nov 1, 2007
    239 Area, FL
    My friend just got a new router and the default WEP passcode was slowapple191 I laughed and said **** you netgear lol
  8. macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2012
    Colorado Springs USA for now
    why is it such a big deal to you? You got what you wanted.... IF they wanted to "get" you they probably would of made it a much worse password.
  9. macrumors 604

Apr 6, 2007
    No. It's a random password generated using a word the phone has picked out of the dictionary, followed by some numbers. If you want, you can wipe your phone and reset it, and you'll see that it'll generate a whole new password in a similar fashion.
  10. macrumors 68030

Sep 21, 2011
    What's a blank or deactivated SIM-card, and why would they be free?
  11. macrumors regular

Mar 22, 2010
    OK, USA
    SIM card without a phone number that hasn't been provisioned. Users with unlocked devices on unofficial carriers have found a trick to be able to edit their APN settings by hot-swapping a blank T-Mobile SIM and performing a couple of other steps.
  12. macrumors 68030

Sep 21, 2011
    Oh, okay. Thanks. So the "unfriendly" response from the employees that the TS was talking about was about as expected as walking in to a gas station asking to have a hose and a jug in order to steal gas?
  13. macrumors 68040

Oct 21, 2012
    It's randomly generated from the dictionary, nobody's calling you a fibber!
  14. macrumors 68030

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia Area
    Wow. Are u kidding? U can't be that paranoid, can u? And if the employees chose to call u a "fibber" intentionally, the joke is on them for using the term "fibber" in the first place.
  15. macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    I'd imagine its more like asking for a free cup from the fountain drink machine.
  16. macrumors 68020

Jan 2, 2011
    Why would you care? What difference would it make? Just move on.

FYI the iPhone just chooses a random password, nothing they could have done.
  17. macrumors 68030

Sep 21, 2011
    I see, I interpreted it as if he would use the T-mobile SIM card so he could enter their APN and then use it for MMS without having to pay them.
  18. macrumors Nehalem

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    Yes, they're messing with you dude.
    You should go back there, throw the sim card back at them and slap them both twice :D
  19. Guest

Dec 7, 2010
    For the op...please don't actually do that.

lol, afraid he might take that post too seriously ;)
  20. macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2008
    You think "fibber" is rude? Wow. I wonder what you'd think about some of the words I would use to describe this thread. :)