Rules Reminder

Discussion in 'Site News' started by arn, Oct 7, 2002.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I think it's time to review the rules, as I've been closing and moving a higher number of posts recently:

1) Keep posts ontopic - Especially in the News/Rumors discussion. Off-topic posts in that area will likely get deleted without warning. Other forums are usually less strict, though a completely off-topic thread will likely get closed. Community discussion is pretty unregulated in this respect. Please direct idle chit-chat to that forum.

2) The profanity filter is there for a reason. Do not circumvent it. This is actually becoming my biggest pet peeve.

3) PLEASE try to post threads in the PROPER area.

4) Do not post multiple messages with the same content. One post in the proper area is sufficient.

5) No Warez/Serials talk.

6) In the end, use common sense. When you are about to post 30 messages in a row just to increase your post count... think to yourself "Is this annoying?" If the answer is yes, don't do it.

thanks
    arn

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It might be worth you making a 'stiky' thread with the site rules at the top of each forum, mainly for the newbies, but also to remind the rest of us when we need it :p

3. bidge macrumors 6502

Is there are thread that describes what all the forums are for, I don't really know which each is for, I have a reasonable idea. Please show me or make one!!!!

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Are you kidding? I realy isn't that difficalt :rolleyes:, just read the description of each forum below the forum title.

Ex.

5. bidge macrumors 6502

The description is not the confusing bit, it's chosing where to put you bit, because you could put it in quite a lot of different one's.

It does seem difficult to spell difficult though.

I'll try and follow the stuff. Thanks

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Oh, oh, that's so funny...I can't stop laughing...:rolleyes: :eek:
    Looking forward to you pointing out every spelling mistake in the forums, your going to be very busy! :p :eek:

7. bidge macrumors 6502

true, I wouldn't call it a spelling mistake as such, more a typo.

I could be the typo and spelling moderator:p

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

bidge, the first four forums:

Macrumors.com News Discussion
    MacApps.com Discussion
    MacPolls.com Discussion
    Macrumors.com Current Events

are meant for relatively serious discussions directly related to rumors in each specific category. There should be a link in each thread to justify the thread as a rumor, CE discussion, etc.

Rumors:
    Hardware Rumors: All threads here should have a link towards a report of a hardware spec (faster Superdrive, updated model iBook, etc.).

Software Rumors: All threads here should have a link towards a report of something software related, such as the Mac OS, iPhoto update, etc.

Apple, Inc. Rumors: I'm not too sure about this thread. I guess it deals with what may be going on inside Apple Corp.

General Mac Discussion: Create a thread with or without a link, discussing something Mac related. Think about it as the Community forum with only Mac related topics.

Mac Help/Questions: Discuss what is acting unusual with your computer or other device, and how to get around this. Basically, it's a Q&A on assistance with your Mac.

Mac Gaming: Due to popular demand, we have a game forum. :) Create new topics on certain games you have, would like to see on the Mac, or even a link to an article on your favorite game.

Apple Collectors: Talk about your "attic" of Macs you have stored away.

For Sale/Trade: Let others know you want to sell a computer, hardware device, or other, and suggest a reasonable price. Some people link their item for sale to eBay, and link it from the Sale forum, so that people from MacRumors can have a look. Also, if you are willing to trade a Mac [part] for a Mac [part], post a thread and see what happens. Don't forget about a reasonable price. You don't want to make enemies. (Do a search on travis.)

Distributed Computing: I'm not too sure what the deal is with this forum. It's something about SETI/folding, but I wouldn't understand Jack Shawn about it.

Community Discussion: Ahh, the ultimate bulls*** forum. At least try to create a new and decent topic, or even make it relative to the MacRumors registered users and what they're like. Although most of the easy topics have been sucked up already.

MacRumors Old Skool: For the seniors of the boards. Basically, those who have been on/visiting the boards for years on end find this thread at home. No pun intended. :)

Site News: This is a strictly-related report forum on how the forum is progressing, enforcement of the rules, reminder of the rules, etc. Refrain from spam here at all costs. That would be like littering right outside a police station. :)

The MacProjects forums are self explainitory. If you are working on a 3D project, such as a website, or for college, you can get some help here.

The Archive is basically a collection of older threads, which are less important nowadays. For an example on what not to post, take a look in the wasteland department.

Oh, and I forgot the Private Forums. Again, all I can say is... [everyone]
    Muhahahahahahaha!!! :D

edesignuk, I'm not trying to make you look like an idiot, but if you are going to explain something to someone, detail will most likely beat "Are you kidding? I realy isn't that difficalt :rolleyes:, just read the description of each forum below the forum title...." :)

9. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Great summary KC...

Actually, the Rumor forums don't need a link cited...

MacApps and Current Events should point to a specific app or article.
    Normal users can't post new threads to MacRumors News and MacPolls.

Other than that, you're right about the rest...

arn

10. bidge macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot KC, I expect that quite a lot of people will find this helpful, not just me.

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

On an additional note, apparently you, arn, have the longest lasting announcement ever in the world:

"Announcement: Rules Reminder (10-07-2002 until 11-07-2005)"

I assume that it's a typo? I have noticed the number "2" being forgotten in other areas, such as the speed of the new PowerMacs... :D

12. fatalerror101 macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thank's arn it's nice to know what our guidelines are every once and a while. As you stated above posting is mostly common sense, and since i have some of that stuff i should probablly be alright.

PowerBook G4 1ghz