Rummy exit rumored; Lieberman eyed for job...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by crdean1, Dec 8, 2005.

1. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Think this holds any water? If it happened, do you think he would do a good job? (read: not a better job, we all know the answer to that question, but a decent job.)

Link

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Interesting rumor, but I have a feeling Lieberman would never be offered the job and wouldn't take it if he was. It would be political suicide.

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I heard this rumor a few days ago as well, but the question is is Rummy really on the way out? I think Lieberman thinks he is, and if his performance in defense of the Bush "Iraq Plan" is any indication, he thinks the job might be his. Bush gets a Democrat to front for the disaster in Iraq and gets to claim a "bipartisan" foreign policy. IJ, Lieberman has no place to go within the Democratic Party. He already committed suicide with his performance in the 2004 Presidential race. There are also rumblings of a primary challenge against him for his Senate seat, as well as a possible rematch with Lowell Weicker - this time with Weicker as an anti-war independent.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Good points -- Lieberman has painted himself into a political corner. He has to be thinking about his legacy at this point, though, and I have to wonder whether becoming a cabinet member for president who his so disliked within his own party buys him any points with anyone.

As for Rumsfeld, we've predicted his demise before and been wrong, so I don't know. But he's certainly not a young man, and after five years at the center of the vortex even a raging egomaniac like him must be thinking that it might be nice to play a few rounds of golf before you die.

Rumsfeld is scheduled to be interviewed on the NewsHour this evening, btw.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what of the assertion that lieberman was offered the UN post before bolton? this is the first i've heard of it. if that's true, then i'd be more apt to put stock into the current rumor.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sure would explain a lot. I think Lieberman is going to face a pretty stiff challenge from his left -- and isn't he up for reelection in '06? He's been a very reliable go-to guy for the right when they need some potent criticism of the Democratic party from one of it's own -- specially now that Zell Miller is retired. He's angered a lot of the rank and file of the Democratic base with his willingness to go along with the Bush agenda, and all for what? Favored treatment of Israel?

Lieberman will need a new job come his next dance with the voters of CT. Conservatives won't support him over another Republican candidate, and he's pissed off the liberals now too. Sure is a far cry from the Lieberman who was a VP candidate way back when...

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Rumsfeld didn't tip his hand on the NewsHour tonight, but he did presume to tell Jim Lehrer how to do his job. And I lost track of the number of time he said "my goodness!"

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

lovely. i mean, it's not like mr lehrer is a competent and responsible journalist or anything...

9. Trowaman macrumors 6502a

Trowaman

Leiberman is alright on most things, environment for one, but he is a devastation to the democratic party on Iraq.

We all need to think a few steps ahead of where this goes is Liebs is appointed.

Gov Rell (R) gets to appoint replacement
    She'll appoint Rep Chris Shays (R) , Rep. Nancy Johnson (R) , or Rep. Rob Simmons (R) to senate. All three have what I'd call inoffensive moderate-liberal stances.

Rell is the most popular governor in the nation, the reps have all had close re-elections lately just because of their R. With Rell at the top of the ticket in 2006, the senator she appoints would have a slight advantage. Any of the 3 would result in a loss of a house seat, but those would probably be lost next year anyway.

I've been predicting Dems gain the house next year and put the senate back to 2004 numbers. Appointing Lieberman just helps them keep the senate a tad longer.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't suppose Lehrer appreciated the implication that he and his fellow journalists are misleading the American people about what's going on in Iraq, but he handled the issue very professionally I think.

Oh, and he said "my goodness" five times...

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

reminds me of some conversations i've seen here.

12. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

just listened to the podcast of the rumsfeld interview.

the popular news media could learn a lot from jim lehrer. what a great, great guy.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think popular news media watchers could learn a lot too. Jim Lehrer isn't the only highly professional news person on this program. I think Margaret Warner is even better in some ways.

14. tristan macrumors 6502a

Rumsfeld's leaving? But he was doing such a great job. Now how are we going to find the WMDs and win the war on terror? How? :eek:

Interesting interview. Rumsfeld is still trying to sell the lie that things are going well in Iraq. We'll see how long he keeps that up after he's out. Also, what Rummy doesn't understand is that "12 American casualties in Iraq today" is the good news, because if this thing tips, someday it might be "150 American casualties in Iraq today", and it's Vietnam all over again.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So, if this is true, the Pentagon's focus will change from the war on terrorism to the war on violent video games and CDs with bad words.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Meanwhile over in Iran they are buying long range russian made missiles and russian reactors that put them 1 step away from the bomb. Bet you anything that final step will be done underground in Iran.
    I like Lieberman but he may be to much of a nice guy for this job...........plus a democrat.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The new Norm Mineta.

(This comparison is bound to be made if Lieberman does join the Bush administration.)

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Of course you haven't heard of him, the only Democrat in the Bush cabinet. Mineta is the Secretary of Transportation. As nearly as I can tell, he exists in name only. I suspect a similar unceremonial interment would await Mr. Lieberman if he joined the Bush administration. He'd make Colin Powell look like an inside man.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Of all the Dems, they pick him? Makes sense I guess, the guy might as well be a moderate Republican. I would've trusted someone like McCain or Wes Clarke, or even Murtha, more. But hey, almost anybody's better than Rummie. I'm surprised he has the balls to visit the troops as the people I know in the military can't stand him.

"You go to war with the army you have". :rolleyes: