Rumor: Apple Click Wheel Mouse

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Threnody, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Threnody macrumors member

Threnody

Check this out.

Personally I'd love to have one of these. The wheel would be great for scrolling long documents and it sounds really elegant. Still, didn't Steve once say we'd never see a multi-button apple mouse?

2. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Sounds cool, but it still wouldn't have a right-click, and programming one of the wheel's clicks to be a right-click would be a little odd, since the other three would still be scrollers.
    And while I think the sounds of running your finger along the wheel iPod style to scroll is a cool idea, I can't see Apple doing this.

3. brap macrumors 68000

Yep. I can't see a way of doing this which wouldn't be stretching all the wrong tendons an being ergonomically repulsive. Still, nice idea.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The iPod style scroll wheel would not work in the mouse for one simple reason. On the iPod you scroll with your thumb, but on the mouse you'd probably be tempted to scroll with your index finger. Unless they put it on the side... but that would be a heavy break in symmetry and that is what a lot of Apple design revolves around.

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Old rumor this is. A while back there was a patent that was registered by Apple of a mouse with this feature. Let's hope this is true!

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Plus, as Apple didn't make a multi-button mouse due to simplicity, this mouse design sounds even more difficult than the multibutton + scrollwheel mice out there today, so a more complicated mouse seems to be a step backward.

7. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I may be one sick puppy... but, I like the single click on my PB. I very rarely use the control click. It just doesn't seem necessary on my Mac. My PC is a different story. ;-)

8. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Right now I just hit the reply button with a Microsoft mouse. Sacrilege I know (although not as bad as my mom being gates TelePrompTer operator for several years :( )I really don't see apple doing the iPod type mouse I doubt it would be as efficient as the mouse I am using now. Although it is apple...

9. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

10. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

why not have a mouse with a touch sensitive scroll wheel?

11. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

The linked article in the original post is a joke. If anyone couldn't tell it's a joke from the first few sentences, the last line gives it away.

But to sort of play along, sure it would be "cool." Maybe macmice is developing it for a January 2005 release. (joke)