Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

settledown

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2003
pittsburgh
Coming Soon:

Apple Cinema Display with built in iSight and IR receiver,
Apple Remote
Front Row
PhotoBooth

(Min requirements: G5 Mac)

I know the wires....where do the wires for the camera and IR go? C'mon here people, I got the ball rolling, help me out here...

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Seems inevitable. Hopefully they'll also make a future iSight version that allows people without Apple monitors to use the new software and features, but it does seem unlikely that Apple would do so.

My problem is that, although it's a nice, integrated solution, I'd rather have a detachable iSight. It's good for showing people around your apartment, for instance, or showing them who's on the couch or whatever. Also, adjustable for height and other personal preferences.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
I wouldn't want an ugly camera built into an ACD. Keep them for the consumer series, stay away from the pro...

Apple should put out...

A wide 17", 20" & 23" imac shaped LCDs (white bezel, built in cam)

20", 23", 26" and 32" pro series like they have now.

noelister

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2005
I think that they could sell the FrontRow software packaged with the IR remote and an USB IR receiver. I could see alot of people buying this.

On another note, I would like to see the a built-in iSight into the portables... This would be a really nice feature. No More packing along the iSight with the PowerBook or iBook.

noelister

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2005
I just realized that the Universal Dock for the iPod has the IR receiver built-in. This is sweet. I can see later down the road..... When the ipod is connected to the computer and FrontRow is opened it will have an iPod icon similar to the others. From there you can browse the iPod for files to play or something along those lines... Who knows.. My imagination gets the best of me sometimes ;)

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
I hope not. That camera looks so bleh on there. Its also not as practical because of the fact that its locked in one place.

Perhaps if it had to go into the cinema displays, move the silver apple logo up top and the camera could hide under it.

ccool2ax

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2005
settledown said:
Coming Soon:

Apple Cinema Display with built in iSight and IR receiver,
Apple Remote
Front Row
PhotoBooth

(Min requirements: G5 Mac)

I know the wires....where do the wires for the camera and IR go? C'mon here people, I got the ball rolling, help me out here...

I'm not sure why i think this, but i think... you just made that up. First, requiring the G5 would be bad. What about Mac Mini Media Center users? nice going, Apple, make a consumer product only usable by pros! THats almost as stupid as the iTunes phone!

Apple wouldnt be that stupid. I thought they used all their stupidity credits when they made the QuickTake camera.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
_bnkr612 said:
I wouldn't want an ugly camera built into an ACD. Keep them for the consumer series, stay away from the pro...

Apple should put out...

A wide 17", 20" & 23" imac shaped LCDs (white bezel, built in cam)

20", 23", 26" and 32" pro series like they have now.

Way too many models. I do agree that the camera is more of a consumer thing that may never see it to the PB's and ACD's. Plus they're too beatuiful (although I don't think the iMac looks bad) ;) .

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Phat_Pat said:
I hope not. That camera looks so bleh on there. Its also not as practical because of the fact that its locked in one place.

I agree, but it would be nice to see Apple come out with a thinner display and a lower price on the 30".

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I to hope Apple doesn't put an iSight built in to the Cinema displays. Just doesn't go well with me.

As for updates for the displays, it would be nice if they introduced a smaller 17" Cinema display. Right now there doesn't really seem to be too much of a "low end" model right now.

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
noelister said:
I think that they could sell the FrontRow software packaged with the IR remote and an USB IR receiver. I could see alot of people buying this.

On another note, I would like to see the a built-in iSight into the portables... This would be a really nice feature. No More packing along the iSight with the PowerBook or iBook.
this is a really good idea exept that it would make the size and weight of the whole unit go up, making it hard to lug around. But it is a nice idea...

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
wrxguy said:
this is a really good idea exept that it would make the size and weight of the whole unit go up, making it hard to lug around. But it is a nice idea...
I don't think it would be that big of a weight increase. The Sony FJ series has a webcam built-in. Its a 14.1" machine, and only 5.1 lbs.

Apple's iBook (also 14") is 5.9 lbs.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
miloblithe said:
Seems inevitable. Hopefully they'll also make a future iSight version that allows people without Apple monitors to use the new software and features, but it does seem unlikely that Apple would do so.

My problem is that, although it's a nice, integrated solution, I'd rather have a detachable iSight. It's good for showing people around your apartment, for instance, or showing them who's on the couch or whatever. Also, adjustable for height and other personal preferences.
PC and UB drivers would be nice (eg. for users of AIM).

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Oh please no! The last thing I would want in a Cinema Display is a build in camera. I have absolutely no use for such a thing. Well, maybe one of the current models will be cheaper to get if they release such an update... I'd like to see a 17" version too, I think they'd sell tons of those.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
what you coulod have is an isight with built in IR, one cable, one remote.......apple could sell this with the frontrow package so that every mac user who wants this feature can use it, as its a very niche market for people who actually desire this entire package. it may kill imac sales, so maybe later!

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I agree, no built in iSight for the ACD. Although cheaper prices and more than the current three sizes would be great (i.e.- 17", 19", 20", 23", & 30"). All HD of course.

nfocus design

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Texas
I like my display just the way it is. I don't want a built in iSight. I have an iSight and I can point it in any direction. Can't do that if it is biult in to the display unless I want to move my display around.

Zoowatch

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Sheffield, UK
just sell the display together with iSight in a special bundled price (cheaper price)

that's the best solution

i don't want an isight stuck on the display

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
This will never happen.

What about a Dual iSight for Pro monitors? One that is in a fixed location and another that rotates with a arm and is detachable. Or make it a 3rd camera to show you at a third angle or show you using the God special effect, etc from Photobooth during a chat session. You can start up a iChat session with 3 of you and one of the person you are chatting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.