Rumor overload!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Rower_CPU, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Is it just me or is the rumor mill being overloaded these days with many contradictory/weird/strange rumors?

Is Apple actively putting out misinformation to throw us all off?

Is everyone just desperate and making stuff up since there has been little to no info leaked from Cupertino?

This is so weird...the last couple of Expos were pretty easy to predict, but this one is shaping up to be wild.

Expect the unexpected, folks!

2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    yep, the rumor mill is chock-full.

i'm getting a little burned out on it all...but i don't have the willpower to stay away...arrrggghhhh

3. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I hear ya, 3rdpath.

I'm repulsed and yet attracted to it at the same time.:confused:

When else does 6 days seem so long?!?!?!?

4. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    when its 6 days before your wife's due date....time just stops.

and it looks like the sonigram they did on steve jobs was misleading..

what looked like a powermac is really a 17" i mac...:D :eek: :D

5. Jays macrumors member

yes expect the unexpected... Jobs wil anounce the G5 next week, it al makes sense now.

G4 for consumers and G5 for pro available in August.

6. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

No way. It's not gonna happen. 3 Processors in the product line? :rolleyes:

Bad idea...

7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Ah nothing is better than rumor fever this takes me back to the other expos:)
    All this is common to have so many contradictary rumors, of course some are complete BS but I can't wait to see what is real!

8. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

and to think that just recently there were complaints of not enough rumours......:rolleyes:

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

at least we're not getting a slew of "What if Apple released a PDA?" rumors...:rolleyes:

10. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

so what if apple releases a PDA;)

Seriously, folks...
    There is a lot of wierd information going around, and a lot of upset rumor sites over the presspasses to boot. Credibility is out the window at a lot of these site. Luckily, we hang around here, and Arn runs the tightest ship in town.

Apple could be throwing out missinformation. It would appeal to Jobs, and maybe some bright eyed young marketeer got a promotion out of all this. I just don't know because I don't work at apple and I couldn't talk about this stuff if I did. These are surely strange times.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's what I said a day or two ago. And it especially makes sense after this article was posted a while back. The sad thing is, it seems to be working and no one really knows what to expect - sort of. MWSF - Apple tries to over-hype the whole thing, now they're playing it 180 degrees from that. Makes sense in a way since MWSF and the LCD iMac didn't live up to all the hype anyway.

D

12. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Well.......

One thing I've learned about Apple employees and NDA's is how to read silence.

My normally out-of-the-loop insider recently provided me with one of those telling pauses. I was chatting with them on the phone about the most recent crop of gossup here. When I got to the rumors about G5 production delays I got

" Really? (pause, pause, pause) (Obviously supressing laughter) Is that what they're guessing?.... (audible smirk) Wait and see.......":D

It probably means nothing but GOD would I love to be wrong.:p

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

Well, I'm sure we've all made our little predictions and our doubts about the upcoming Expo. I've made mine before.

But among the forums, after the Expo, we will have some people excited, we will have some people p!ssed off, and we will have some people with mixed feelings. That I am sure of. I'm not so sure if everyone else realizes this, but in case anyone has extreme emotions after the Expo and posts them here. For example, after the San Fransisco Expo, there was a thread called "Damn, I'm pissed..." or something along those lines. But, obviously, we were expecting the G5 with such an intense degree. Whatever the case is, I will not be as extreme after the Expo, but I will go one way or the other.

So, you guys, do expect some people, who were much so wrong in their predictions, and expect a few ticked off posters. For those guys I have a green pepsi for them to chill off with. :D

Attached Files:

14. sjs macrumors 6502

Easy to predict???

The last couple of expos were easy to predict? In my reading of MR I seem to have come to the conclusion that about 90%+ of the posters here are absolutely terrible at predicting.

iPod - surprise!!!!

LCD G4 iMac - no one predicted the style and almost no one got close on the final configuration.

PowerMac update in February - not a major update, but not well foreseen either.

eMac - I predicted a 17" monitor but certainly not a G4, and nearly everyone predicted Apple "would never do this"!

In fact, that is the most common theme that runs through MR: people who make visionary predictions are for the most part shot down by people who say Apple would never do that. The corollary to that is people wishing for a G5 (64 bit) that frankly about 98% of the computing world has no need for.

This is a fun place for discourse, but miserable for prediction accuracy.

Hey, I'm in a good mood. Tell me...am I wrong?

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

>eMac - I predicted a 17" monitor but certainly not a G4, and nearly everyone predicted Apple "would never do this"!
    Wasn't everyone saying that it was going to be a CRT iMac? I'm sure not too many people got that one... :D

I figured that Apple was going to make a design, 17 inches, flat CRT, G4 (with a little help from an older article). Almost everyone was expecting a PowerMac AT the SF Expo, not after. And, now, there are rumors going about, saying that no PowerMacs will make it at the NY Expo.

>Hey, I'm in a good mood. Tell me...am I wrong?
    I am as well...just don't get too cocky about it, j-dog, or you might be J!!XED! :eek: :D

16. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Macrumors was spot on about the Apollo G4s before they were out

I remember the rumour of a G4 lineup topping out at 733Mhz on this site, days before it was released.

I don't remember who was credited as the source of the info at the time but I guess they'd be right if they predicted what was coming a few days before the expo, weekend for instance.

I totally agree, there are far too many conflicting rumours right now and no one can be sure what's coming or when.

I just hope I don't sit through an hour of steve going on about market share, OS X, sales and new applications only to be disappointed at the end.

17. sjs macrumors 6502

I don't think any kind of information leak 2 or 3 days before an expo constitutes a correct "prediction". In my mind a prediction is when you surmise something will happen based on your reading of the circumstances. If the ACTUAL info gets out, that's a leak, not a prediction.

Either Apple is pretty good at surprises, or we're just bad at predictions. In our hearts I think we all really hope that MWNY holds a shocker...

18. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

apple law

Apple has gone after some of the in-siders and leeked info in the past. Maybe in-siders are less willing to come out and tell now days. Aslo, I bet apple has things a little tigher undercontrole now. I'm sure with every day we get closer to MWNY it becomes even harder for Apple to keep the lid on. I'm just going to wait and see. If there is a new digital life style device comming out... im going to get it! PDA/Topset Box/Camera/DV/you name it I want it!

-evildead

19. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

confusion good

I almost prefer this confused state over the state we were in before MWSF when everyone was so certain about 1.0-1.4 ghz PowerMacs making an appearance at the keynote. Do you remember the near devastation everyone felt when they didn't?

20. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

These Expos are kind of a mixed bag, in my opinion. On the one hand, it's a big, well-publicized event. So it's good to take advantage and announce new products.

But on the other hand, the expectations do screwy things with demand. No one with half a clue is going to plunk down $3000 on a system a month before the Big Show when there's some chance your badass system will be outdated in a few weeks.

And if there is a great new product introduced, everyone is gonna want one, and then Apple's chastized for not meeting the demand. Damned if you, damned if you don't.

21. gbojim macrumors 6502

Well here is another little bit of fuel for the fire.

I was at the Comdex trade show in Toronto today and I was told by one of the vendors there to expect a CPU rev in the Xserve. I have no idea if it is true. And he would not say if that meant speed bump or model change.

I guess we'll see.

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i love to fantisize about macworlds, but since i have been following them every few months for the last two years on this site, this one in new york will probably be the biggest letdown of all

g5 - no way in hell
    17" imac - yeah, right
    dual tibook or 1 ghz tibook - not this time
    pda - no convincing evidence
    camera - no convincing evidence
    jaguar - too many saying that mwny is too early
    g4 ibook - next year
    new case for powermac - why?
    superdrive in tibook - not likely

i think we will see a faster powermac but not 1.4 or 1.5 ghz g4s

right now, i will be happy is apple could give us a dual 1.2 ghz powermac

the real fireworks will come this fall before christmas and at mwsf in 2003

our faith will be restored in apple in 2003 and we are most likely in limbo in these months right now

and meanwhile, pentium 4 has gone to a 512k level 2 cache 533 bus ddr ram monster processor at 2.53 ghz and amd is on the way to beating that in the next few weeks