Rumor: Powerbooks in October? (3 weeks)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by invaLPsion, Sep 25, 2004.

1. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

According to MOSR, (the real MOSR) new powerbooks should be coming out fairly soon. Check it out:

"A Powerbook update as soon as three weeks? That's the latest word on the grapevine, and reports out of Freescale seem to support this.

Apparently, Freescale's 7447B is already shipping in quantity to Apple and the 1.6GHz version of the chip should be in steady supply in 4-5 weeks according to seemingly conservative estimates.

The PowerPC 7448, which would offer faster memory (200MHz FSB, DDR400) and speeds up to 1.8GHz with a 1MB on-chip L2 cache, remains a looming question mark and wild card when it comes to Powerbook/iBook/eMac developments....expect more about the 7448 in this weekend's updates."

Let's see if the new MOSR will be right on this one... :)

2. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

sweet! i think this is definitely gonna turn out to be true

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

4. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

But not with specifics about a timeframe, bus speed, or Ram speed... :cool:

5. kilpajr macrumors regular

I guess they could just up the processor speed and lower prices. But, I don't see much reason to update if they aren't going to upgrade anything else, especially since it is only a .1 GHz increase. They already have the best graphics card available (the 9800m is for desktop replacements). So the question is, what could they do to warrant an upgrade?

6. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

what happened to that "dual core g4" rumor?? that one seemed a bit more believable, but Apple having a 0.1 ghz upgrade on PB serie is not worth believing...

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

if this powerbook comes out soon, i hope it's the last rendition of a g4 powered laptop

if that's the case, it would be nice to see a g5 laptop by late spring 2005...but maybe we're still a year away from a g5 laptop

8. kilpajr macrumors regular

If the dual core G4 is released, I can't see the benefit of them moving to the G5. If the dual core G4 is running at something like 2GHz, what would be the benefit of replacing that with even a 2.5GHz G5?

9. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I just bought a new 15 in PB today so the new ones will be out in two weeks for sure. ;)