Rumor: PowerPC - The Roadmap

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Abstract, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

SOURCE

What do you think? ;)

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i think it is way, way too soon a prediction for G5s in the iMac. that will be late in 2004 at best, IMO.

3. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What's wrong with it? A 1.4GHz G5 iMac would be perfect. I don't know how it'll cool a G5 with it's current casing, but by Jan/Feb 2004, that would be the perfect time to put it into the iMac. I don't think anyone wants a G4 right now. I don't. But I LOOOVE the iBook and Gobi reference. That's what I want, not a PB.

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

nobody wants a G4, but you want a g3? right. i am just saying i think it will take a lot longer for them to upgrade the other systems, especially the iMac, which has a passive cooling system. i expect them to ride the G4s to 2 GHz at least. we'll see though.

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

6. ouketii macrumors regular

here's my processor roadmap:

june 2003- g5 @ 2ghz.
    Jan 2004 - g5 @ 2.5ghz
    June 2004- g5 @ 3ghz

eh throw in some updated g3 running too slowely and a g4 that apparently noone wants, and it shapes up to be a pretty good roadmap ;) that is, unless you compare it to intel/amd, at 4ghz by end of this year. stiillll running windows XP. that XP part takes the fun out of it, though.

7. maraczc macrumors member

I think that the may change depending on when Centario and Athlon 64 are coming out and in what state. And they might want to have the biggest bump around the itme that those come out to "soften the blow". Or maybe as soon as possible to ride on being the fastest computer for a while until those come out. I don't know which because obviously I don't have a master's degree in business.