Rumor round-up

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by stoid, Mar 14, 2002.

?

What do you expect on the 24th

Poll closed Mar 24, 2002.
  1. iPod

20 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Quicktime 6

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Digital Device

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. 10.2

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. TiBook

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  6. iBook

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. iMac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. G4

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

It's ten more days until March 24th. It seems to be established that this is going to be a big day for Apple. It seems generally expected that we will get an updated iPod of some sort, most likely with a 10GB HD, possiblity of 10.2.

So what do you think the most likely announcement will be:

iPod
    Quicktime 6
    Digital Device
    TiBook
    iBook
    iMac
    G4

2. think_different macrumors newbie

I would vote on iPod2 and new TIBook and, maybe, also new iBook.

3. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

I'm not sure if the prices could dictate a 10gig iPod, but I'm going to say:

Demo of Quicktime 6.

iPod 2.

New TiBook.

I haven't heard anything about OS 10.2 being seeded to developers yet, so I doubt it will come out, but maybe a demo of it?

All in all not the biggest Macworld that it is rumored to be.

-Pete

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

My thoughts

We will see
    iPod 2 10 gig hd
    New Ti-Book up to 900mhz
    Demo of QT 6
    FAR OFF DREAM(COOL NEW DEVICE)

5. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

My prediction

No new computers nor updates to existing computers. Maybe a few weeks after, but I think no updates on hardware till July.

Will see updated iPod, possibly demo of QT6. I think it is POSSIBLE (and thats the key word) for a new device. I think more PDA like(maybe part of the iPod) but camera could happen...maybe

6. iMax macrumors member

I'd love to see new Tibooks too, but i don't think that they are going to run at 900mhz. Remember the whole "No New Hardware" announcement? I think that means that apple will upgrade the Tibook, but it will be with processors wer already know 733, 867,933 are all possibilities.... single 1ghz possibly? who knows really... but apple really does need to give the Tibooks a major kick in the pants and get them up to speed.

also... i was just poking around apple.com, and there are now refurbished iPods for sale as well as lots of refurbished powerbooks, another typical move before apple introduces new models.... just to keep things interesting around here.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

I am looking forward to seeing these things at Tokyo:

(1) New iPod
    (2) New Powerbooks (they are about 6 months old)
    (3) Maybe OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
    (4) Maybe new Apple monitors
    (5) Maybe Update to either iTunes, iPhoto, or both
    (6) Backup: iMovie 3

I can almost guarentee that at least one of these predictions is accurate. If not, then many people will be just as disappointed as when no G5 Macs were introduced for MWSF (and all that anticipation...).

These will probably NOT be on Steve's public announcement list:

(1) Firewire 2
    (2) USB 2
    (3) The G5
    (4) DDR Ram

iMax: Welcome to the real place where people talk about Macs (and mock those who use PCs!). Your comment on a single processor G4 at 1GHz sounds nice, but:
    (1) It would kill Powermac G4 sales
    (2) The heat issue would not get any better
    (3) Apple has made average jumps in MHz to upgrades of higher MHz in 167MHz quantities. Going from the current 667 to 933 or 1000MHz is too big of a jump. Nice thought, though.

Bad PC Advertiser: All you need to upload pictures from your camera is a PC and some expensive software.

KC: Well I have a Mac, and the software I use is free. Does that make me better than you?

8. Quark macrumors regular

The new Camera

The new Digital Camera is already in production...

errhh, a... I mean, it would be nice if there was a new Digital Camera from Apple with iPhoto 2 and all the FireWire stuff, high-res (6 megapixel stuff), etc.

I'd buy 1 in a flip.

...What's a "flip"?...

Quark

9. MacLuver23 macrumors member

Hmmmm.....

I want a new iPod upgrade so I can buty the older ones that will be cheaper. I really want a digital camera or 10.2, i can't make up my mind. Plus I would like to see the AirPort prices go down a little, don't get me wrong, 299 for the base and 99 for the card is a good deal. Its just that I don't have $400 right now.

10. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I don't expect this before summer but:

I want the Quad G5 with the wireless peripherals and the 16Gb of DDR.

11. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

by everyones predictions you should have made the poll a multiple option one. :)

i expect a new ipod.

im 50/50 on a new powerbook

i hadnt thought about new/cheaper airport but there are a lot of vendors giving these away with powerbooks and ibooks at reduced costs.

i would love to see 10.2, mostly because i hope it will be FASTER, but i dont think its likely... maybe a demo?

id like to see a digital device but all the ideas people have come up with so far (pda, digital camera, etc) seem lame.

and then there are those new monitor rumors... i just dont know.

12. dualburn001 macrumors regular

Re: I don't expect this before summer but

all for $599 :D

13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Why not 10.2?

Apple has been doing the whole clock thing since OS X was introduced a year ago. Why wouldn't they have something special planned?
    Do you think Steve's going to get up there, suit and all, and just look at the clock and say: "Yeah, it's 12 o'clock, OS X has been out for a year, it's doing really well, here's another look at the apps that have been out for a while and Photoshop is finally out."
    Lame.
    Steve loves to put on a show, and no 10.2 is not a show.

14. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

id say probably no 10.2 because it has not been seeded yet. no word of it hitting GM, and it just became stable last week. but a demo could fulfill your wow factor while giving apple time to put on the finishing touches.

but hey since it would be a big deal maybe apple has been keeping it a big secret? im trying, i just dont see it happening.

15. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yeah, I haven't heard of anyone finding it on Apple Store machines like we did with 10.1.2, but I just really hope we can see some performance improvements. My G3 at work just feels too slow...

16. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

:) im right there with you. my lil g3 took a LOT of special tweaks for me to find osx performance usable.

i considered buying a new computer it was so bad. first looked at an imac then powermac. but i didnt see a big enough perfromance boost in the UI in osx to make it worth the cash.

i might buy if 10.2 comes out and makes things snappier. i find the speed unacceptable and intolderable on any machine. im just hoping 10.2 finally delivers the responsiveness we have been hoping for.

17. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I would say Windos XP for Mac!!!!!!!!!

Windows XP rules!!!! is ten times better than OSX!!!!!!

(sorry, I'm sore of bored and tired :eek: )

18. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

You scared me there for a second. I thought you were turning into gocyrus or redeye, or something. :p

19. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

20. freedom macrumors member

Royal Midsommarkransen, Stockholm, Sweden
    MW Tokyo Releases…

Shouldn´t Steve release something
    aimed especially at the Japanese…
    Something they´d really appreciate,
    like a gadget for example…
    If there is a cooperation between
    Apple & Sony, what could we expect?
    Implementation/interface between
    cellphone+ipod+mac?
    Send/swap photos, mp3´s etc. (mms)?
    The future seems to be mobile,
    at least according to the cellphone
    manufacturers.

It´s friday afternoon. I´m tired.
    I want beer. My mind is blank…
    (see above!)

21. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

iPad. 10,000 photos in your pocket.

This is what I'd like to see in Tokyo.

iPad. 10,000 photos in your pocket.

Ultra-slim 5-gigabyte hard drive with a blazingly fast FireWire connection capable of downloading an entire photo album in 10 seconds.

Stunning high resolution 6x4” colour LCD screen.

Rechargeable lithium polymer battery provides 5 hours of continuous viewing.

Presenting iPad. The first portable photo viewer to pack a mind-blowing 10,000 songs and a 5-hour battery into a stunning 10-ounce package you can literally take everywhere. But iPad isn’t just a revolution in portability, it’s also a revolution in simplicity. Just plug it into your Mac and all of your iPhoto pictures and albums are automatically downloaded into iPad at blazing FireWire speed. With iPad, it’s that easy to take your entire photo collection with you wherever you go, in the pocket of your choice.

iPad comes with Apple’s award-winning iPhoto 2 software. Automatic synchronization keeps your iPad photos and albums up to date. And whenever you add new photos or modify your albums in iPhoto, simply plug the iPad back in and the changes will be automatically updated in seconds. Also in iPhoto 2, you can edit, crop, filter, stitch, frame and add titles to your photos to create stunning images to shows your family and friends on iPad.

iPad automatically charges using the FireWire cable connected to your Mac while you are transferring photos. You can also recharge using the included FireWire cable and AC adapter when you’re on the go.

22. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

I think...

... we'll see 10.2 (12 on the clock) and iPod2 (a 10GB drive that's the right size does exist now). Other than that, I think we'll have to wait until MWNY.

23. think_different macrumors newbie

Apple & cell phones

freedom,

you're right. Cell phones are the future. It would be very cool to see how Apple could transform the cell phone market with it's unique design and technical implementation of technology.

Apple could pick the ideas showed by Nokia with their new phones 3410 and above all the 7650 and mix them with the iPod
    to offer us a multimedia cell phone , capable of capturing, swapping and storing photos, movies, games, mp3 files and any other kind of files ( see the possible PDA path;) ) viewable trough an excellent small color display, added to 5 Gb/10 Gb HD's and FireWire connected.

Wow!

To aid to all this Quicktime 6 must be released as soon as possible!

Unfortunately the cell phone market in the US is not so developed as the european and japanese markets, wich are nearer of adopting the 3rd generation where these kind of phones will shine. And without a mature US market ( wich is not even close to adopt the 2,5 generation standards ) Apple probably will not see the urge to develop for this market.

Wish I'm wrong!!!

24. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm trying to figure out what time to look for the webcast, so I can plan my day next week :D .
    Am I correct in thinking that if the keynote is 9:30 AM on Thursday in Tokyo,
    it will be webcast Wednesday afternoon at 4:30 PM (17 hour difference from Pacific Time)?

25. sinbushar macrumors regular

ipod

u kno what would be hot?...an ipod with a new case......*drum roll*....an aston martin built around an i pod...or g5...take what you can get:D ..but i think it may get a little pricey...even by apple's standards....it will probably be considered a non-consumer device running for 5 grand.....sounds good to me:D

adil
    e-mail: pakipina786@yahoo.com
    aim: sinbushar