"Rumor-Sooth" Ratings for MacRumors

Discussion in 'Community' started by D*I*S_Frontman, Mar 11, 2004.

1. D*I*S_Frontman macrumors 6502

OK, here is my idea.

This is supposedly a rumor site. Now that Apple security is tight as a drum leak-wise, we seem to have very few actual leads to go on. Most of the time we all offer opinions and guesses, which is fine. Some are well-thought-out and well worded, some less so.

The number of posts may give you an indication of activity, but it is a poor barometer of pronostication accuracy. So here is what I propose:

a) Arn puts up an "official" poll once per month (let's say, on the first of each month). He writes the poll to reflect the biggest rumors, long-awaited updates, and new technologies. There will also be room on the poll form (a text box) for one optional date-specific prediction.

b) Everyone casts votes on the predicted rumors, updates, and technologies.

c) The next month, Arn fills in a master copy with the accurate predictions from the previous month and runs all the voting through that master. Correct guesses = 1 point, incorrect guesses = -1. The optional date-specific prediction would be worth 100 points if correct, -50 if wrong.

d) The ratings are tabulated and declared next to you login in much the same way a "feedback" rating on EBay would be.

What do you think? Whenever some goofball sounds like they know what they're talking about, you can just look at their "Rumor-Sooth" rating: 542 means you'd better listen to them, -319 means they are full of crapola.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I don't know if anyone would wind up with a great deal of positive pointage there. I know I'd probably be in the red hella, but I don't think that such inability to converse with the ethereal plain and determine future events should discredit me an Apple user. :D

Interesting idea though, although the execution would probably be a logistical nightmare, maybe a feature in vBulletin 4.0 :cool:

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I think that would actually be really fun! I'm all for it!

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Would take too much effort to tabulate everyone's speculations.

And the dates should be something like +another 1 point, because it's fairly obvious that hardware will come out at an expo, etc.

scem0

5. D*I*S_Frontman thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking it could all be a scripted process, where Arn just enters in the correct answers and the program updates all our ratings. Certainly some smart cookie out there could write such a simple program? It might take a few moments to do a search over the write-in predictions, but doable, I would think.

The last thing I want to do is make Arn's life harder or more complex.