Rumor specs on new G4's

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Backtothemac, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

A person that I know that works for Apple claims that at New York, there will be a new PowerMac with the following specs.

They will have G4 processors starting at 1Ghz, then 1.2, and dual 1.4's. Hard drives will be 60, 80, and lets pray 120 GB. Ram configurations will be 256, 256, and 512. They will deploy Rapid I/O in the 1.2 and the dual 1.4's. The 1Ghz will keep PC133 for now. Firewire 2, Geforce 4 MX in the low, and Geforce 4 Ti in the top end models. Also, the thing I like the most is that memory will be up to 3 GB in the high end models. Gigabit ethernet, as well as the other standards. Also, it will be 32X CDRW in the 1GHZ, Superdrive or combo drive in the 1.2 and a new superdrive with much faster write speeds in the 1.4.

Also, new case enclosure!!!!!:D

Prices
    1GHZ 1699
    1.2 GHZ 2299
    1.4 GHZ 2999

He also says the G5 will not come out until late 2003, and it will not be what we think. He claims the G4 is going to be modified to the extreme and become the G5. He claims to have seen the 1.4 and says that it kills Windows machines in EVERYTHING that they compared.

Lets cross our fingers.:p

Oh, I almost forgot. Bluetooth is already onboard!!!!!

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Sounds nice and all, but I don't think a suped up G4 will be accepted as the new G5 by most. I think lots of people will feel cheated or that Apple is trying to dupe us into buying what is in essence, just another G4.

Apple must be really having problems with Moto. :(

3. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I agree. I know that personally I want to see a new processor. I think they are going to put the G5 label on the G4 that has the rapid I/O and SOI. Even though the core will be the G4, most, including myself would be more than satisfied (for a while) with that kind of performance boost.

4. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I am not wanting to insult (I am very sceptical about any insider info) but you say:

"Hard drives will be 60, 80, and lets pray 120 GB."

Did he says "Lets Pray 120 GB" because if he did then it looks like he doesn't actually have much information and that he is guessing, or did you put the lets pray in? because if you did it would not make sense that you would add info into the account.

Sorry, it looks like I am flaming you and that is not my aim.

Ensign

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

specs...

weren't those the specs rumored to be for the last revision of the G4? :confused:

6. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

this could be good news

This could make me a really happy man, and my angry from Tokoyo would be calmed if only there were some tidbit of information that would make this rumor, true.

So, your saying that a person at apple told you this information, what is the job of this person, that he is privie to this type of information?

Is he a copyboy, or a gofer, a harlot, a numbers cruncher or Job's weekend girlfriend, and why woudl she tell you what happening.

Could you give us a little more, PUHLEASE.

Is Rapido the bus instead of DDRAM?

I really hope that this is true because if it isnt, I am going to puke.

7. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Ensign, he told me that they were 60, 80, and 120. I added the lets pray for good measure. If the rumor of the faster write speed is possible on the Superdrive is true, then it would be great to have more room on the HD. I mean who could not use and extra 60 gigs of space. But to answer the question, the source said that it was going to be there.

Also, they are very similar to the rumors that were flying around for the last upgrade. Who knows they may have been ready, but held up for some reason. We have all seen Apple do this before.

As far as the source, he is a very close friend, and I don't want to get him fired. We all know that Apple reads these boards, and he is a friend. He had to know that I would post on the info, but he also knows that I am not going to get him fired, but I can assure you that he is not a copyboy, mailboy, or such.

This is not etched in stone, but rumor, and we all know what they are worth. So lets not "puke" or make a flamewar, I just thought you might like to know. I can say this. Before I came "Backtothemac" he did tell me that the iPod was comming and advised me to hold off on buying an MP3 player until it came out. Turns out it was the best advice I have ever had.

8. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Thanks for putting that straight, now I understand and will try not to be so skeptical although this is hard for me!

Ensign

9. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I understand. I am always skeptical of rumors myself. :)

10. kidtronix macrumors regular

yah firstly, when was the first time apple updated a processor ship with 400mhz? chumps. and of course, ships go in equal numbers all the way, that sounds like apple too, please, go and sit in a corner.

11. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Hey Kid, please refer to my previous post that says "This is rumor!" there is not need to get up in a wad about a rumor. I will agree that the jump of 400 MHZ is huge for Apple, but if it does have the SOI tech on it that would allow a HUGE increase in clock speed, because it would really reduce heat. Anyway, no reason to tell me to go sit in a corner. I never said this was etched in stone, or that the heavens would open up and swallow us if it did not come true, and hell it may not, but it is just a rumor, and they are fun to talk about.

12. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Those specs have me ready to buy if true. One question though. You mentioned the RAM BUT....is it still SDRAM or do we finally get DDR? That is if its true....I want to believe but I don't want to get my hopes up like I did for MWSF.

IF you don't know could you please ask your friend? Thanks a bunch in advance.

13. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    sounds about right

the specs all seem to be a culmination of the last six month's worth of rumors...also, MOSR has a bit about off-site demos (at tokyo) of systems that sound very similar. the only part i'm skeptical about is the pricing-seems kinda low...not that i'll complain if they are accurate.

i don't really care if they call it a g4 or g5 or a gobstopper... just make and ship the darn thing by july please. i'm tired of waiting and apple's not getting any more of my $$ until they release a sizeable upgrade. ( i've waited this long, whats 4 more months?):D

14. OSUbuckeyefan macrumors regular

Thanks for the inside info, backtothemac. I also agree that the rumored specs seem reasonable. If DDR ram was inplemented in these machines, I would likely buy.

I've been holding out for the G5, but I'm just not sure how much longer I can wait. I really really want something by the end of this year...it looks like this might fit the bill.

15. pishnaris macrumors newbie

Damned if I do; damned if I don't

Yarrrggghhhh!

This rumor makes sense, it's just what I want to hear, but the timing is terrible...I got a call from Apple yesterday telling me that they think they'll be shipping my Dual gig, with the TI card, at the end of next week! That's good support for the thought that a notable upgrade would be out in July (or even the beginning of the following week ;). My sense of timing seems to be impeccable...)

So now what do I do? Cancel the order and wait until July?

You know, I just might.

16. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Hey everyone. Talked to my friend and he said that DDR will be used, but that it is not in standard MHZ? He was on the road and needed to run. He also read me a riot act for posting this. I told him that he knew that I would.

Hey phis... I know how you feel. Bought my iMac 266 about three weeks before the 333's. iBook 300 with 6 gig, the week before the ones with 10 GB, and my latest is an iMac 600 SE from smalldog in Dec then the new ones come out in January. Everytime I have been told by my contact to be patient and wait, but I never can...:p

I just hope that he is right and he is not blowing smoke....

We will see soon.

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I still don't like the idea of Apple selling a G5 that isn't a new processor, just a beefed up G4. I want the bump as much as the next person, but a G4 is a G4. Let's just be honest about it.

18. Choppaface macrumors 65816

who cares what the name is? if you're so worried about that, why not go cry over the fact that earlier G3's had beige cases and the later ones were all colorful towers. just make it fast :D :D

and you said 120..would that be a reference to the caviar?

and how many ports? just 2 USB, 2 firewire, or are we finally going to see more?

19. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

He did not go into detail about the case. He said standard ports other than firewire 1394b. I asume that would mean the four USB and two firewire. I don't care if they call it a G4, G5, or dylithium crystal chamber :p, just give us the goods!

20. MacManiac1224 macrumors regular

G4 or G5?

I am not sure about this whole thing. I like the whole evolving thing with the G4 to the G5: but isn't the iMac a G4 now. It bascially has the same power as the current G4's. Even with a DP 1.4 with DDR Ram, that it all well and good, but it is only a G4. If i were going to buy a G4 now, I might as well go with iMac, right? Apple has to differiate thier lines, It has always been that way with Apple. Consumer and Pro lines have traditionally had different processors, right? So, Apple is going to wait 2 years to release a G5? I hope not.

AMD and Intel are releasing thier new processor lines this year. Apple needs to stay competitive. Let's face it, I don't think Apple's DP G4 1.4 can take on an AMD 2.2 Ghz Hammer. I am not sure, but I don't think so. Apple needs a new and enganced processor so that it can start to stake it's claim in the high end markets.

When the G5 comes out, I am buying one. Personally I don't care if the G5 is a buffed up G4, I just want to see G5 on the outside of the case. It is psychlogical. Think about it Apple. AMD and Intel are coming up on your heels, it is time to show them what you got, release the G5.

21. pishnaris macrumors newbie

You mentioned a faster Superdrive...wouldn't we expect to have heard about a substantially improve CDR-A03? The CDR-A04 is really not a major improvement.

Just a thought.

22. Biggles macrumors member

just so u guys know, MacOSRumors has this exact same info on their site. here's the quote:

"Still longing for more processor performance from the latest PowerMacs before you buy one? Well, if a Dual 1GHz model with 133MHz SDRAM doesn't impress you, how about a Dual 1.4GHz beast employing powerful new PowerPC 7500 processors and screamingly fast 400MHz RapidIO-compatible memory? It has taken months of digging to confirm this, but it looks like the much-hyped PPC 7500, a G4 designed to add some of the features of the G5 family, will be the centerpiece of Apple's mid-year PowerMac update. A 400MHz leap in processor clock is dramatic, but made possible by the 7500's deeper command pipelines, next-generation wiring process and modernized chip architecture. Much more on this rumor in the days and weeks ahead."

well it doesn't mention FireWire 2....

23. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Actually from what my source said, the 1.4 is sick fast. And no, even though the iMac has a G4, it doesn't have any of the features that this new one would have and they would make a huge difference. iMac 800's and G4 800's have a big performance gap. Going to the 1.4 would make even a bigger difference.

Hey, just saw what you were talking about on MacOSRumors Biggles. Wonder if MacOSRumors and I have the same source? ;)

24. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

character of source?

I truly hope that all this news is true.

I am curious about the source, without disclosing his position in apple.
    What is his character, is he prone to silly talk?
    Does he drink a lot?
    His he a moma's boy?
    Is he kind hearted, or one of those bully boys that cheat and sneak on others. I wanna know what kinda guy he is, and that will tell me if he is dependable in this information.
    I cant believe how important a damn computer is to me, what has happened to my life?

MMMmmmm you said SICK FAST! can you imagine a sick fast mac, how great would that be?

25. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Grok....LOL, I know what you mean about the power of a computer in your life! He is a very respected person in his community. He knows what he is talking about too. He is the type of person that doesn't say much, but when he says something, you better listen. He is very old fashioned, a family man, and an all around great person. Hey, like I said, he told me about the iPod almost a month before it came out.

Some people don't believe the rumors, but sometimes they turn out to be dead on. I hope that this turns out to be one of those times. Hell for all we know, he and Steve could be kicked back laughing there A$$ off at all of the rumor sites knowing that they have the worlds first lightsabre prepared for launch :D

Anyway, back to the point. He is very trustworthy, and no he is not a drunk.