Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Financing options will become what people go for, which are fairly similar to contracts.

Yes. Just the American way. They are already trying to make iPhone and other phone full price seem "cheaper" by spreading payments to 30 months now. Wouldnt be surprise to see 36 month payment plans soon.

cousintim

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2015
I doubt AT&T will get rid of unlimited. I hope not I pretty satisfied with AT&T.

It wasn't AT&T's goal to either get rid of unlimited or eliminate two-year contracts. It's goal was to reduce the percentage of customers in these profiles. It has been and continues to be successful doing so.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It wasn't AT&T's goal to either get rid of unlimited or eliminate two-year contracts. It's goal was to reduce the percentage of customers in these profiles. It has been and continues to be successful doing so.

I agree.
Many people left from unlimited with all the enticing double the data promotions and cheaper next plans.
And then bam, guess what? Unlimited is back unthrottled again:D
Im glad I and many others stuck with our gut and kept our unlimited data plans:D

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

If they were really serious about it they would go further and do what Verizon has been doing and not offer the contract subsidy option to anyone on an older plan.

cousintim

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2015
If they were really serious about it they would go further and do what Verizon has been doing and not offer the contract subsidy option to anyone on an older plan.

It's not a question of being "serious"; it's about managing the mix. The current methods are working better than plan.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's not a question of being "serious"; it's about managing the mix. The current methods are working better than plan.

Well, I meant that in the sense that if they really wanted to do it faster the option is there and has been in use by their main competitor to quite a bit of effectiveness. So perhaps they aren't in as much of a hurry essentially.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
While at&t next is reasonable especially with mobile sharing that's gets more data.

The real issue is have is ATT (and other carriers) have found a backdoor way of increasing prices and most people haven't gotten the slightest idea ATT has increase prices?

How can this be?

This makes no sense?

Yes it does. Let me explain. Do you really think ATT is paying $649 for base iPhone 6? Sure. Keep believing that. It's pretty much a given fact ATT gets at least a 10% discount from Apple for "bulk" orders. Look through government purchases from say the iPads (from time Apple hardly ever discounted iPad 2 when iPads were selling like hot cakes). Apple gave us govt 10% discount.

So ATT is automatically making 10% profit off of you with ATT next.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
While at&t next is reasonable especially with mobile sharing that's gets more data.

The real issue is have is ATT (and other carriers) have found a backdoor way of increasing prices and most people haven't gotten the slightest idea ATT has increase prices?

How can this be?

This makes no sense?

Yes it does. Let me explain. Do you really think ATT is paying $649 for base iPhone 6? Sure. Keep believing that. It's pretty much a given fact ATT gets at least a 10% discount from Apple for "bulk" orders. Look through government purchases from say the iPads (from time Apple hardly ever discounted iPad 2 when iPads were selling like hot cakes). Apple gave us govt 10% discount.

The other problem is, full retail prices are being raised quite a bit. The S6 for instance is $599 for the base price, which funny enough is what Verizon charges, but AT&T and T-Mobile are charging almost $700 full retail for it, which means a couple bucks more per month.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

How can this be?

This makes no sense?

They have been making money off of you for ages, and increasing that profit--that's one of the main reasons for their existence and that of any company: to make more money. The price they offer though is the same as Apple so it's not like you are paying more than you would somewhere else (or the manufacturer themselves).

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
They have been making money off of you for ages, and increasing that profit--that's one of the main reasons for their existence and that of any company: to make more money. The price they offer though is the same as Apple so it's not like you are paying more than you would somewhere else (or the manufacturer themselves).

Makes zero sense. What the msrp and what ATT pays for it is completely different. ATT does not pay $649 for the base iPhone 6 from apple. Same with Samsung msrp. Sprint former ceo in the past has already mentioned Apple's products were 40% more than their next selling product (Samsung Galaxy series) even though both the Galaxy and iPhone were the same msrp roughly.

----------

The other problem is, full retail prices are being raised quite a bit. The S6 for instance is $599 for the base price, which funny enough is what Verizon charges, but AT&T and T-Mobile are charging almost $700 full retail for it, which means a couple bucks more per month.

Yes. Just shows you carriers are finding back end ways to profit off "next, edge, jump" plans. Ain't none of them are paying msrp for these phones. But they are forcing you to pay msrp for them.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Makes zero sense. What the msrp and what ATT pays for it is completely different. ATT does not pay $649 for the base iPhone 6 from apple. Same with Samsung msrp. Sprint former ceo in the past has already mentioned Apple's products were 40% more than their next selling product (Samsung Galaxy series) even though both the Galaxy and iPhone were the same msrp roughly.

----------

Yes. Just shows you carriers are finding back end ways to profit off "next, edge, jump" plans. Ain't none of them are paying msrp for these phones. But they are forcing you to pay msrp for them.

AT&T sells the iPhone for the same price that Apple (the manufacturer) sells it for.

DeftwillP

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011

How can this be?

This makes no sense?

So you're saying that ATT suddenly gets a 10% bulk discount for iphones from apple that they didn't get when they only offered traditional 2 year contract plans?? oooookay

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
AT&T sells the iPhone for the same price that Apple (the manufacturer) sells it for.

Not when u can buy it on various sales on 2 year contract for less than $199. Than put flip phone for $9.99/line to avoid data plan and use iPhone on another line or resell it.

----------

So you're saying that ATT suddenly gets a 10% bulk discount for iphones from apple that they didn't get when they only offered traditional 2 year contract plans?? oooookay

There are more discounts on contract than with next.

I can get $99 iPhone 6 base various sales. Put flip phone on that line and avoid data plan. My 8 year old nephew uses that line for just phone calls and texting with basic keyboard go $25 phone.

I use that subsidized iPhone any way I want it. Resell it. Use it on another line etc.

DeftwillP

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
What at all, does that have to do with what you were saying originally???

You made an argument that ATT is marking up the equipment that they're selling to us because they allegedly get it at discount from apple.

Now you're saying that there's discounts for people depending on what contract they're signing.

Is there a specific point you're trying to make or just rambling?

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007

I can get $99 iPhone 6 base various sales. Put flip phone on that line and avoid data plan. My 8 year old nephew uses that line for just phone calls and texting with basic keyboard go $25 phone.

I use that subsidized iPhone any way I want it. Resell it. Use it on another line etc.

Who cares about "discounts" when you can still wind up paying more in the end? And that contract ties you down to whatever terms exist at the time you sign up.

Another carrier comes up with a better offer? Too bad, you got another 23 months to go.

Want to take your phone to another carrier? Locked down until you pay off the device and cough up the ETF.

I never bothered with a smartphone until better contract-free and prepaid options came along. I like having the option of leaving my carrier at any time, and upgrading my phone on my schedule rather than on some fixed upgrade plan calendar.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not when u can buy it on various sales on 2 year contract for less than $199. Than put flip phone for $9.99/line to avoid data plan and use iPhone on another line or resell it.

----------

So what you are saying is that contracts were like a loophole for people to get things cheaper and even make some money on them and getting rid of contracts gets rid of this type of loophole in a sense. Yeah, I guess in that sense these companies are totally screwing the consumers. /s

kukheart

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2003
Dallas
If AT&T and do this and i have to go on their website to get the 2 year subsidized price, then it will make me a little depressed as I'd much rather buy it on the Apple Store app.

LessO2

macrumors regular
May 20, 2012
This makes a little sense as to why I received an online survey from Verizon a couple of weeks ago, heavy on questions about two-year contracts and their impact on my choices with VZW.

Sounds like VZW is checking their options too.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
If AT&T and do this and i have to go on their website to get the 2 year subsidized price, then it will make me a little depressed as I'd much rather buy it on the Apple Store app.

Apple juice on full display.

cousintim

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2015
Do you really think ATT is paying $649 for base iPhone 6? Sure. Keep believing that. It's pretty much a given fact ATT gets at least a 10% discount from Apple for "bulk" orders.

AT&T pays the lowest wholesale price of any iPhone seller. It used to get about a 10% discount, but it may be a bit richer now.

That said, comparing iPhone pricing to iPad pricing is just silly. There are far few phone sellers in a given market and iPhone pricing and margins are tighter because phones are sold on a service model.

You have no understanding of cost of goods sold, gross margin or basic cost accounting.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I agree.
Many people left from unlimited with all the enticing double the data promotions and cheaper next plans.
And then bam, guess what? Unlimited is back unthrottled again:D
Im glad I and many others stuck with our gut and kept our unlimited data plans:D

My reason for dropping the unlimited was 2 fold. Mainly i needed voice minutes, secondly my daughter was going over every other month and they were throtteling the rest of us. 3 lines. The family shared plan gave the women the ability to talk on the phone, and the promotion doubled my data. I couldnt be happier. Unlimited was a pain for our usage.
The will never take away a plan someone is currently on. They may stop offering it though. We've seen that over and over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.