rumor that rove has been indicted

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, May 13, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

truthout, but i've seen no confirmation.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Interesting. We'll have to see what transpires next week...

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Can't wait to see how bush handles this one. He'll have no choice but to fire him and the republican party can kiss the November elections goodbye.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow. Bush's and Cheney's aides indicted.

And are we to believe they were acting on their own volition? Or can Fitzgerald show that the criminal activity goes even higher?

And wouldn't it be ironic if this was what ended up getting Bush and/or Cheney impeached, not the self-admitted lawbreaking involving the circumvention of FISA?

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Why did I even bother to ask? :rolleyes:

This just in:

CNN link

Still no smoking gun for Cheney...but it's getting awfully uncomfortable for him and his boss.

And that's not even considering all the other people who are being investigated, such as outgoing CIA executive director Kyle Foggo and Housing and Urban Development Secretary Alphonso Jackson.

The Bush White House -- a cornucopia of corruption.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

what are the odds that cheney et. al. used the NSA secret wiretapping program to spy on wilson and plame? i'm thinking just about 100%.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't know, but I wouldn't bet against it. Other political opponents as well. Even with a smoking gun though, is anyone actually going to do anything about it? I knows Fitzy is trying, and the Dems are making a big stink, but are we waiting for after Nov or what?

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't know if I'd be in a big hurry to indict and/or impeach Bush & Cheney, if that's the wait you're referring to. Drawing it out right now may actually be beneficial. If Bush or Cheney were to actually be formally charged with any crimes, it would allow them to spend the time between now and November hollering about partisan prosecution/persecution. This way, the threat just hangs in the air, with a lot of investigations/indictments going on around them. Makes them look really bad without formally targeting the two Big Cheeses themselves.

And, of course, there's the possibility that after November, we'll have a Democratic-controlled House and/or Senate, which would make impeachment that much easier.

BTW, on the subject of impeachment, Nancy Pelosi said on Meet the Press a week or two ago that the Dems were not planning on instituting proceedings, should they take control of any part of Congress in November. Pelosi said the party's platform would be focused on ending the war, and on domestic needs such as health care and the economy.

Much as I'd like to see Bush & Cheney hung up by their thumbs, it's probably a smart position for the Dems to take. It keeps them on the moral high ground, so they don't look like the only reason they want to take power is so they can get their revenge on Bush. And they can always change their minds about impeachment once they're elected, particularly if (as is happening now) worse and worse things keep coming out about this administration. Gives them the ability to say, "Well, we weren't planning on an impeachment, but the more that comes out, the more we realize we can't ignore it."

9. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

It frightens me to think of who would take charge of leadership if this goes down the way I think it will eventually.

If this were a game of chess, I'd have to say Fitzgerald is going for all the Kings Horses and all the King's Men, then it's Check Mate for our Humpty Dumpty President.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

If any of these guys get indicted they will be out of Prison before Bush is out of the Whitehouse. The best thing would be to draw this out and throw these bums in Jail when Bush is no longer around with his team of draft dodging scumbags.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's what I was thinking of too, but sadly I don't see them doing anything more than talking even if they took back both houses. I don't even see them doing that. Despite the fact that the other side is already accusing them of trying it. Which is stupid because that's what a lot of people want now, so it's actually kinda helping them even though they aren't doing anything and are only planning on it as a last ditch effort if it comes to that. I wonder if things get bad enough if the Republicans might try something in an attempt to distance themselves from Bush. If things get bad enough. Think it would help?

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Don't worry... if it happens, it'll show up here.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I know- but I've got a nice bottle of Veuve chilling just for the occasion. ;)

15. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

and if it doesn't, the NSA will remind me by making clicking noises on my phone.

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Next Tuesday?

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Right. Steve is going to announce it along with the new MacBooks.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Then it'll never happen! :D

19. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

"one more thing..."

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Rove "Scoop" Remains Exclusive

I think this is the part where someone is supposed to say that even if the story is a hoax, it sounds like it could be true and that's what's so troubling.

Link

21. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

truthout has published a partial retraction.

http://forum.truthout.org/blog/story/2006/5/19/162339/178

The Rove Indictment Story as of Right Now
    By Marc Ash,

Fri May 19th, 2006 at 04:23:39 PM EDT :: Fitzgerald Investigation

On Saturday afternoon, May 13, 2006, TruthOut ran a story titled, "Karl Rove Indicted on Charges of Perjury, Lying to Investigators." The story stated in part that top Bush aide Karl Rove had earlier that day been indicted on the charges set forth in the story's title.

The time has now come, however, to issue a partial apology to our readership for this story. While we paid very careful attention to the sourcing on this story, we erred in getting too far out in front of the news-cycle. In moving as quickly as we did, we caused more confusion than clarity. And that was a disservice to our readership and we regret it.

As such, we will be taking the wait-and-see approach for the time being. We will keep you posted.

Marc Ash, Executive Director - t r u t h o u t
    mailto:director@truthout.org

22. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

That doesn't sound like a retraction to me. On the contrary, it sounds as though they are sticking by the original story that Fitzgerald indicted Rove on May 12, and the only reason this hasn't been reported on by any legitimate news sources is that truthout is "too far out in front of the news cycle."

23. aquajet macrumors 68020

What the hell is a partial apology? Sounds like BS to me.

24. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

It tells me they know something is in the works, but they jumped the gun

that's why they're taking the wait and see approach without admitting they
    were wrong.