rumor...

Discussion in 'Games' started by sam10685, Jun 18, 2006.

1. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

i've been finding rumors that they're thinking about changing the Wii name... (here is one rumor site.) i doubt it's true but even so... the name has grown on me a lot and i think it's a good name. what do u think?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think it is true, but it could be. Why spend the kind of money advertising if you knew you'd be changing the name?

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Dont think they will change the name now. They may change the pronunciation for Europe as 'Why' = Wii and thus solve the problem in a very cheap and easy way.

Thus Nintendo will be literally taking the piss out of their own hardwares name. :D

4. kinesin macrumors regular

I hope they don't change the name.

It's definitely grown on me and unlike the Paystation3 and xbox360 which due to the numbers sound a bit Dilbert/groofy mcfly like, the Wii is different. It's designed be a unique machine and the name sort of has that.
    It's not as if I link in my head as Wii=wee, because no one I know goes says I'm just going for a wee. It's more normally off for a slash, piss, or shake the lettuce (girls only) - but maybe I'm common.:D

Having played on a 360, and owning original xbox and PS1 the nintendo Wii is the only next gen piece of kit i'm looking to buy. The name doesn't really matter. Off course I'm more looking forward to getting a DS Lite, (5 days to go w00t!) and believe that DS has really shown the public that Nintendo can make fun games

(ps. I'm even starting to like using the MacBook - keyboard short cuts are a trackpads friend.):cool:

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL! :D

6. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Wee which sounds like 'I'm having a wee' in UK english (meaning having a piss)

Hence the article posted above quoting they may change it for UK/EIRE

Doesnt apply to USA I think. Doesnt apply to Other parts of Europe or Japan.

So they can either leave it as it is, or

They can pronounce it 'Why' in the UK TV adverts and spell it the same 'Wii' and that would get rid of the Urine conitation.

However I honestly dont think they will do anything and leave the wii alone.

8. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Wee means the same thing here in the states. Maybe they'll change the name to the Nintendo ****!

9. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

People still making jokes out of the name? Even if I hated Nintendo I still wouldn't be bothered about the name. How many adults say the word "wee" when they need to go to the toilet or...

"We need beer."
    "Hahaha! You said we!"

10. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

hey, its the level the internet and most people are at. apparently.

12. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Uhh, it does? I've certainly never heard that. The closest I've heard is referring to genitals to/from small kids as their "wee-wee."

13. Copland macrumors regular

Copland

I've heard "Wee" refer to some liquid excrement and the body parts that remove it...
    Albeit, it is a bit immature to say. I'd say it's more common to hear "wiz" or "piss".

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Mate... I know you like Nintendo and stuff, but you sound happy theres rumour of a name change, and you want HD graphics etc (from another topic)... are you sure you want a Wii?

15. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

I like how "Wii" looks... I'd rather it be pronounced like "why". I don't really care at all if they change the name...

16. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

The Nintendo "Y" (Wii) to go along your Xbox 360. X&Y. Or a Wii to go with your PS3. Fun.

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's pronounced "We", not "Y".

Except that Wii is used as a noun. "We" is a pronoun. The usage of Wii is the same as the usage of Wee, not We.

"We need beer" is one thing. "I am going to go play with my Wii" on the other hand is another.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If it was going to be called the "Y" they would have announced it in Europe. they missed the boat if they ever intended on doing that. I better stop buying SFX (with the partially covered up F) because that could vaguely sound a little bit rude. Damn, I'm never going to smoke a fag. Should I snog that girl over there?

It's Britain. We're used to silly ways of calling things.

19. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

A name change at this point seems very unlikely since Nintendo is still trademarking Wii related names and registering wii-something domains. Also Iwata kept reaffirming that he likes the name in recent interviews.

20. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

You're totally missing my point because you are too busy looking for loopholes :p

My point is Wii and Wee are different words and you can easily tell one you mean one or the other. How many people refer to going to the toilet as "I'm going to play with my wee?". It's virtually impossible to be in a situation when you mistake the Wii for Wee (*challenge alert* find a situation in which you can mistake Wii for Wee (using everyday language of course) :D ).

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

"Who put wee in my cup" :D

Aparently the name came abouts during a Nintendo board meeting. It was a hot day, so plenty of water was being drank by all. Anyway as they were discussing things, the automatic door mecanism got jammed in the office and they were all stuck in there for an extended period. Apparently one of Miyasaki's juniors declared she was dying for a 'wee' and the name was born......

Or maybe not.... :D

They will keep wee = wii. I like the name and hadnt thought of it in the urine context until this thread re-opened an old old bag o worms.

23. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I really like the name "wii"...i think its nintendo style;)

24. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I personally liked what Nintendo was calling their next console before E3 'Revolution'. Wii just sounds juvenile and goes with this trend that seems to be going on in Japan.

25. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

dude... i absolutely want a Wii... it's gonna be freakin' sweet! (i the name is starting to grow on me a bit and HD such and such-- i don't even know what HD looks like yet so i don't really care about it and someone on another topic told me not to see HD graphics if i don't care about it, so i'm good as it is...!)