Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple-zorlu-250x305.jpg
Apple's retail expansion efforts over the past few years have primarily focused on China, where it has opened over 15 new stores since the start of 2015. Over that time, the company has only opened 7 new retail stores outside of the China region, including two locations in New York City and one in Abu Dhabi, Brussels, Dubai, Sao Paulo, and Miranda, a suburb of Sydney, Australia.

But if recent rumors are any indication, Apple still has significant plans for new stores in several major cities or boroughs around the world, including Birmingham, Brooklyn, Istanbul, Manhattan, Los Angeles, Paris, Toronto, and more. The following is an excerpt from our new Apple Store roundup that tracks recent retail stores -- from new and renovated to rumored and confirmed locations.Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Rumored Apple Stores: NYC, LA, Toronto, Paris and More

Last edited:

19SK91

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2014
apple7.jpg
There are also some rumors about a second Apple Store in Cologne, Germany. This time in the center of the city. Location would be perfect and the building looks good enough for Apple to put a store in there in my opinion. The windows are covered in black and people are working inside for some months now.

Last edited:

FactVsOpinion

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
Opinion: Well it's nice that macrumors is using the free app of the week, Over, for there artwork.

Fact: Manhattan is not a city, per se.

Opinion: Manhattan already has a lot of stores.

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
Finally...

Doomed...

15 stores in China since start of 2015. Great progress. The saturation in China (I guess) is ~ 500 stores. FWIW. Apple has an amazing 25 years ahead of itself. Just doing what it is already doing

Reactions: fullauto

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
A flagship Los Angeles store is absolutely coming here.

It will located in Downtown LA in a redevelopment of a retail center to be renamed The Block.

But... It's also known that Apple has plans for a huge office space not far from that location in a restoration project in the old Broadway district. That area is a hotbed of activity as LA's downtown undergoes a major resurgence as the city's center. It's rumored that Apple Music and a planned "video content streaming and production" managing unit and other operations would b housed there.

One glaring hole in Apples retail operations IMHO is that in Los Angeles they lack a store that caters only to professionals in design, content production, music etc. it should b a 24-hr operation ..

JordanKowi

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2016
They need to put a store in Melbourne CBD, Australia, they have apparently been looking for years but still nothing!

AtomicDusk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
San Diego
What I'd personally love to see, at least in the states, is to increase the footprint of the smaller stores, where they are set up to only have one table on either side of the main aisle.

These set ups are no fun to visit or work in, I'm out of the stores now, but we were always jealous of the larger stores and our customers, frustrated.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Opinion: Well it's nice that macrumors is using the free app of the week, Over, for there artwork.

Fact: Manhattan is not a city, per se.

Opinion: Manhattan already has a lot of stores.

Manhattan, Brooklyn etc were all separate cities that were consolidated into The City of New York or New York City. So yes Manhattan is a City..... It just part of NYC.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
What I'd personally love to see, at least in the states, is to increase the footprint of the smaller stores, where they are set up to only have one table on either side of the main aisle.

These set ups are no fun to visit or work in, I'm out of the stores now, but we were always jealous of the larger stores and our customers, frustrated.

Apple has started doing just that. Read this: https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/apple-retail-stores/#renovated_stores

The store @ West County Mall in St Louis, MO is getting a massive overhaul.

Thank you for this tip! I will add this store renovation to the roundup. https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/apple-retail-stores/#renovated_stores

Reactions: Bengy66

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
well, if they want to save off some square footage, the Apple watch section is always a ghost town!

Everyone knows it, just go to an Apple store at peak times, and all sections are nuts except the Apple watch section.

I walk by one every day at lunch for work, and it never fails to be empty. I did some some people resting their bags on the display last week. Looks like Angela Ahrendts is earning her millions!

ronntaylor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
Can't believe Queens, NY got a store before Brooklyn. Looking forward to it finally opening in Williamsburg, and probably another in downtown Brooklyn by 2018, if not 2017.

Reactions: 2010mini

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
The Williamsburg location is really interesting. The developers literally tore down the entire building and then rebuilt an entirely new building that looks EXACTLY like the original building, down the the arched windows and everything. It's really curious. I wonder if there was something structurally wrong with the original building that wasn't found until after the project was approved.
[doublepost=1454818458][/doublepost]
well, if they want to save off some square footage, the Apple watch section is always a ghost town!

Everyone knows it, just go to an Apple store at peak times, and all sections are nuts except the Apple watch section.

I walk by one every day at lunch for work, and it never fails to be empty. I did some some people resting their bags on the display last week. Looks like Angela Ahrendts is earning her millions!

Where do you live? I always see someone trying one on at the NYC Soho and West Village stores.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

There's a luxury shopping mall here in China I've been in every day the past week and a half. Rolex, Tag Heuer among the watch shops inside. Customers? Never. Not one in either.

People don't tend to look at watches unless they want to buy them - and you wouldn't buy them blind.

But you can't take pointless selfies or spend hours irritatingly browsing Facebook on a watch. Why would people be in that area usually?

Its important the watches are on display for people to see and compare. It's a stretch too far to say just because it's not a hive of activity it's automatically a waste of space.

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
Manhattan, Brooklyn etc were all separate cities that were consolidated into The City of New York or New York City. So yes Manhattan is a City..... It just part of NYC.

Nope.

Just Manhattan and Brooklyn were once independent cities. The other boroughs were created. That's the major reason Queens have a lot of neighborhoods that feel distinctly different because at one point they were villages (until the consolidation). The City of Brooklyn was actually the last borough to join the rest by the way - fun fact. So yeah, Manhattan is just a part of NYC just like BK and the rest. All 5 put together makes the city.

I'm excited BK is finally getting it's first store though. The Queens store is just another mall outlet so I don't look at it as a store. There were also rumors of Apple already looking for another location in BK after this Williamsburg location opens up.

Either Downtown (think City-Point area), Barclays Center area or near the B.A.M Cultural District. All 3 locations would be a great fit for an apple location.

Won't be satisfied until we get an official date!

Reactions: orbital~debris

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
They need to put a store in Melbourne CBD, Australia, they have apparently been looking for years but still nothing!

Why not open a new store at Australia on Collins? It's being built now and apparently going to be a high end shopping centre. Would be excellent to have one there!

jimbob500

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
Apple has started doing just that. Read this: https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/apple-retail-stores/#renovated_stores

Thank you for this tip! I will add this store renovation to the roundup. https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/apple-retail-stores/#renovated_stores

Slight error on the renovated stores page regarding the Glasgow, U.K. Store. That has been open since 2007 not 2011 as written in the article. It is the Braehead Glasgow store which has been open since 2011.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
I personally dislike visiting the Apple store in my city's local mall. Traditional American in-mall setup: single-level, no windows, cramped, and 200 people all crammed in like sardines. Hard to move let alone breathe. Unless you absolutely have to visit the Genius Bar, forget trying to go Friday through Sunday. If you generally know the product line well enough, online shopping is absolutely a must for longtime Apple product consumers who live near these types of Apple store setups. Love seeing other global cities with beautiful architecture and older spaces being converted to stores. Makes me jealous.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.