Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PerplexShyt

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
makes sense if you think about it.

classic has no:
flash storage
touchscreen functionality

shuffle has no:
screen

since the new nano is small as the shuffle, and the touch's are reaching the capacity of the classic's. Why keep them on at all?

Goratrix

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
I don't care for the Shuffle, as that one has tons of alternatives from other manufacturers, but the Classic? ******* you Apple. I have 19000 songs on mine, docked it serves as a base of my home stereo, I can take it with me anywhere I travel, I can carry it in my jacket... I don't care for anything but music, and there are no alternatives in this capacity. I hope some other company fills this gap as I will never buy an Apple product again if they do this.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
makes sense if you think about it.

classic has no:
flash storage

shuffle has no:
screen

since the new nano is small as the shuffle, and the touch's are reaching the capacity of the classic's. Why keep them on at all?

I agree on the Shuffle. The current Nano is about the same size as the Shuffle and offers much more. I strongly disagree about the Classic, though. The largest Touch is 64GB, while the Classic is 160GB. It's not even close. And yes, there are people who use that much space. Personally, I'm in between. I don't use all 160GB on my Classic, but it is nice to have. I like having my entire collection in one place. Who needs playlists when I have everything loaded?

Sadly, though, I think they will be killed because they don't have iOS, touch, and all that. I will be very sad when that happens. I have a phone for apps, internet, and video use, and I use my iPod for its original purpose: music (and podcasts for me). I actually bought a first gen Touch, and hardly ever used it. I thought I could live with only having part of my collection available, but I would often find myself wanting to listen to something that wasn't loaded. Even if they were to release a 128GB Touch (which I doubt), it would be terribly expensive.

Rick America

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2007
shuffle has no:
screen

This is exactly why I would like to see one of them (preferably the shuffle) remain --- no touchscreen. If you use your iPod in the car, you need to be able to navigate it by "feel" --- skip ahead, stop/pause it, start it, etc. It is very hard to do this on the Touch and almost impossible on the current/new Nano. When exercising (especially running) being able to switch around by "feel" only is nice as well.

I think something "physical" for music storage up to 16GB would fill the gap nicely --- as would two models of Nano: one with the current Touch screen and one with the traditional Shuffle-like wheel. I think by completely rejecting any kind of physical interface, Apple may be opening the door for some other player to step in.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
This is exactly why I would like to see one of them (preferably the shuffle) remain --- no touchscreen. If you use your iPod in the car, you need to be able to navigate it by "feel" --- skip ahead, stop/pause it, start it, etc. It is very hard to do this on the Touch and almost impossible on the current/new Nano. When exercising (especially running) being able to switch around by "feel" only is nice as well.

I think something "physical" for music storage up to 16GB would fill the gap nicely --- as would two models of Nano: one with the current Touch screen and one with the traditional Shuffle-like wheel. I think by completely rejecting any kind of physical interface, Apple may be opening the door for some other player to step in.

Yeah, the click wheel is so much easier to navigate by feel. That's why I like it so much. Plus, if I connect my Classic to my car stereo via USB, I can navigate it using the stereo controls. That option doesn't work with the Touch. I could still kick myself for not getting a previous gen Nano with the clickwheel when they showed up in the refurb store a couple of months ago.

watervapr

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2011
My cents:

Shuffle - makes sense, since the nano is much more similar to the shuffle's size, and takes part of the "fitness-gym" ipod market. People could bicker about the higher price of the nano, but it means more $$$ for apple, and any shuffle customers that can be converted to nano customers is exactly what they want.

Classic - now, many hard-music fans will miss this ipod, although I do expect apple to ramp up the Ipod Touch to 128gb. Apple can't please everybody, and the fact that the ipod wasn't even mentioned at last year's refresh means that it's end may indeed be near. It is the 10th anniversary of the 1st generation ipod.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I don't care for the Shuffle, as that one has tons of alternatives from other manufacturers, but the Classic? ******* you Apple. I have 19000 songs on mine, docked it serves as a base of my home stereo, I can take it with me anywhere I travel, I can carry it in my jacket... I don't care for anything but music, and there are no alternatives in this capacity. I hope some other company fills this gap as I will never buy an Apple product again if they do this.

Why not keep the classic you already have? If all you care about is music than it should suffice.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Actually its not a different source its just repeat of the same source on another source.

That being said I really wouldn't be surprised and if the other rumor is to be believed of the 64GB iPhone then the 128GB Touch should be right around the corner.

For me this will be sad for me for a few reasons:

- The classic's now playing screen is the best out of any of the iPods. Might sound silly to some but I like how it displays the ratings right out in front.

- Rating songs is easy, double-click the center and you're to the rating screen. Where with the touch its unlock - double tap the album art - try to rate the song without going to far one way or the other with your finger - then double tap to get back to the now playing screen. PITA.

- The classic is easy to adjust volume and skip songs in your pocket and even easier when it is clipped to a belt or pocket. Touch requires looking at it.

- Some have mentioned, the iPod Touch music section is glitchy with larger libraries. Even with the lack of a hard drive the menus have lag, sad that it loads menus slower than my iPod Classic with 1/4th the amount of songs on it.

I think changing the entire iPod line to touch only is silly. People that want music players will be looking elsewhere. Course they don't really give a toot about their customers anyway.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
Why not keep the classic you already have? If all you care about is music than it should suffice.

Because when it dies, we will be out of luck. If it is discontinued, you can't just go out and buy another. I'm actually thinking of picking up another one just to have when my current model dies. The HD is already making some odd noises. :(

Nice find. Sad to see centipede go. :(

I always liked the parachute game. Lots of fun.

Goratrix

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011

Because it can die anytime, as any other device can. I'm not worried about my current iPod, I'm woried about the fact that if it dies, there is NO suitable replacement product anwhere in the world (which seems completely ridiculous to me in this day when millions of crap devices that nobody wants are being produced).

B777Forevar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Chicago, IL
I really hope Apple doesn't kill the classic.
They can however, kill that worthless iPod nano 6th gen and revert it to the old nano style.

osxnewbe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
I hate to see this because I do enjoy my iPod classic. I like being able to take my entire music library with me on the go be because it all won't fit on my iPhone. I see many times when the iPod is a better option such as out on my sailboat or when I go for a run...

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

If I'm not mistaken you can use a headphone remote with the nano.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
I'm keeping an eye on Classic stock levels. I intend to buy at least 4 when it is announced that they'll be discontinued. I have 2 already and would like to put my entire lossless library on them to play with an Onkyo ND-S1 digital output dock. Hopefully there will be some deals.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Because when it dies, we will be out of luck. If it is discontinued, you can't just go out and buy another. I'm actually thinking of picking up another one just to have when my current model dies. The HD is already making some odd noises. :(
If the HD dies you can just replace it. Some people have even replaced theirs with SSD's I think.
Because it can die anytime, as any other device can. I'm not worried about my current iPod, I'm woried about the fact that if it dies, there is NO suitable replacement product anwhere in the world (which seems completely ridiculous to me in this day when millions of crap devices that nobody wants are being produced).
I reckon if they drop the classic their will be a 128gb ipod touch so you may not be out of luck.

SkaarjHunter

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2011
I hope Apple is smart and compensates with more memory on the iPod Touch. They also need to do the same with the iPads too for that matter.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
If the HD dies you can just replace it. Some people have even replaced theirs with SSD's I think.

I reckon if they drop the classic their will be a 128gb ipod touch so you may not be out of luck.

Yeah, I have seen the replacement drives, but most of the ones I have seen only go up to the 5th or 6th gen models. I don't know if they changed something preventing replacement hard drives or what. At one time, I intended to replace my 30GB 5.5 gen with a 240GB drive, but I never did. I did replace the battery in it, but just never got around to doing the HD.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I think I'm going to be buying the 220GB and a new battery and put it in my 120GB Classic, If apple won't give any updates then I'll do it myself.

Des Zac

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
One thing I just realized is, if they discontinue the iPod Classic there will not be a single iPod running the original iPod OS :(

(I know the nano technically does, but it's an edited version)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.