rumortracker's fallibility

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bobindashadows, Mar 16, 2003.

1. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

Has anyone spent much time at www.RumorTracker.com recently? I find it incredibly hard to believe that honest browsing users voted www.macosxrumors.com to the top of the list. That site is updated once a month with unreliable/unverifiable information, yet manages to be second in the list of rumor sites. Now, i can imagine this is for a couple of reasons. Either the owner has access to many computers, has many friends who can vote for it positively, or his or her readers actually vote for it and vote for it very well. I personally do all my voting by a quick applescript that I made. What do you guys think?

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I wouldn't put too much stock into it I mean maybe people vote for it because mosr makes crazy predictions that are always too good to be true so mif any of those things happens then they will be really happy. anyone whos thought about it as relaible ources they like and its one of those things u should keep track of on your own.

3. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

macosrumors.com is different than macosxrumors.com. I don't think it's the same guy doing both sites. On another note...I think the reason it is rated so high right now is because of the iTunes 4 rumor they posted...I don't think it's usually ranked that high.

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

my mistake its soo easy to miss that x, I agree with you on the iTunes 4 thing everyone has to get lucky sometimes.

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah if you notice almost all of there articles ask you to rate them. It is kinda un-fair.

6. bobindashadows thread starter macrumors 6502

mosxr proxied?

Well somehow macosxrumors.com jumped .10 points over MacRumors today... and I've been pretty much tired of seeing that same headline over and over again... so i knocked it down about .40 points. not a whole lot, but I think the owner does the same thing. All you have to do (like any internet poll) is change your HTTP proxy and vote again. I voted 1 (worst) about 30 some-odd times with an applescript, and put them in their place :-D

7. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Re: rumortracker's fallibility

Well it just shows how popular macosxrumors are, i only went there after reading this post (i knew about it i just didnt bother going there), didnt like it and probably wont go there again...