Rumsfeld backed Saddam even after chemical attacks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Dec 24, 2003.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. vwcruisn macrumors regular

how low wil they go. our current "leaders" really are the scum of the earth. how anybody could ever support them is just beyond me. i guess ignorance is bliss.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'd be very surprised to see Rumsfeld back for a second Bush administration, assuming there is one. But in fact, these examples of crass hypocrisy can't be pinned entirely on Rumsfeld -- he is, after all, peddling the administration's policies.

The hypocrisy, btw, isn't so much the US coddling Saddam with the one hand and then demonizing him with the other. What's so hypocritical is this ugly pretense of adopting a human rights-based foreign policy, when clearly its philosophical opposite number -- realpolitik -- is the actual basis for the Bush policy. It's really quite perfectly Machiavellian to pretend morality while behaving cynically.

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

is there a sizable number of people who like bush but dislike rumsfeld?

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Just wait till Saddam starts telling his version of this story in court with a high-paid lawyer.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

why do i get the feeling he won't make it that far?

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

reagan?

;-)

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What not everyone forgets is how much the Iranians hated the United States, and more importantly, why. So it seems the political climate in the Middle East isn't so extremely different now then it was 20 years ago. We keep paying the price for choosing allies carelessly.