Rumsfeld derides Iraq war critics-Equates them with Nazi-era appeasers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Aug 30, 2006.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

whether this helps with the midterms or not, i don't know, but it is in line with this administration's election-time strategy: blame dems for the GOP failures.

it may still work. while it seems like a good deal of the public has indeed wisened-up, i'm not holding my breath that it will translate to votes for the dems.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

At the same time, I fail to see how comparing most of the country to Nazi appeasers is going to help Republicans.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

and right on cue, CNN tells us of the ploy:

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Look at it this way:

Whenever Cheney or Rummy or Rove go out to give incendiary speeches about the "necessity" of this war, it means the Republicans know they are in deep doo-doo.

It's almost September, so of course we can expect them to ratchet up this kind of talk, both from the White House and from Congressional candidates, over the next two months.

They have nothing else they can win on. So they're gonna play the fear card. They're just trying to put a new twist on it with this "fascism" theme. At the very least I don't think it's gonna work. At best, it's going to backfire. :)

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

To compare WW2 to Iraq is pure spin, Rummy has screwed this one up and America knows we were taken for a ride in Iraq. We havent appeased anyone in fact just the opposite Bush has managed to take the worlds support after 911 and turn into hate. There is nothing to gain in Iraq except a stronger Shiite religion running Iraq & Iran, way to go Rumsfeld and Bush. Sad as can be that thousands more will die for these Neocons spin on staying the course:rolleyes: Iraq is in Civil war but our brain dead Neocon leaders refuse to see it.

7. vniow macrumors G4

Isn't this administration supposed to be the "uniter not a divider" one?

8. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I gotta agree. The Republican party is the David Hasselhoff of politics...they can step in any amount of crap and turn it into gold.

This link will explain everything...

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

We are at war with Fascism. We have always been at war with facsism.

We have never been at war with Terrorism. Terrorism is our ally.

Down with Big Brother!!!

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Iraq and WWII are very different..its stupids that He would even compare them..the Nazis were a strong force..Iraq(when we invaded) never stood a chance. 2 very different things..Germany was making a problem..Iraq was made into a problem(by the USA government, and other governments who supported it inculding the English)

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hey, he's united the Shia and the Sunni against us.

12. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I've always believed this Rumsfeld "character" to be a prick. And this just confirms it.

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm surprised that nobody's brought up the fact that an American version of fascism has come to life under bushco. Perhaps this is also an attempt to deflect criticism from the increasing war being waged on civil liberties and the fact that multi-nationals are now writing most of our laws.

14. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Ive said it before, you can call this administration all you want and their polls can drop to new lows, but there are still enough morons in this country to vote them [Republicans] back into office.....

Never underestimat the stupidity of the American voter. The Republicans are counting on it!

15. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

George W. Bush's grandfather (Prescott Bush) was fairly well involved with the Nazis. Is Rumsfeld comparing anti-war types to George's grandpappy?

No-one with half a brain should be surprised by these tactics. I am awaiting the next terror alert or the Osama tape a few days before the mid-term elections.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What you say is 100% true and America is more worried about who is doing who in hollywood.

17. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Maybe this explains why Rummy is losing the war? Because he is trying to fight individual terrorist cells that have no communication and little command structure like they are the Army of Nazi Germany.

And I question his assertion that the only way to fight terrorism is to kill more people in Iraq. It seems to me that most terrorists over the last years have been caught by way of police work, not tanks.

I also hate the way the administration makes sure that "Islam" is always mentioned in connection with terrorism, fascism and/or eating babies. I'm sure it's in order to give us, the sheeple, a more firm idea of who the enemy is, but whether intentionally stupid, thoughtless or just plain clueless it's making the world a more difficult place to live in, as evidenced by the recent t-shirt wearing and watch-checking incidents in airports. If they really want to fight terrorists, then they should say "terrorists" and not "Islamic terrorists" or "Islamofascism" as the religion, I think, is irrelevant to the crime.

In the end, it's all politics. Bush's buddies think they can stay in power and make more money by having an enemy to fight and keeping us scared enough to vote for them. And they're right, it's worked for five years. It just amuses me when people say politics is worthless when obviously politics has had the more impact on society and the world than anything since the Cold War.

18. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

I wonder if anyone in Bushco. has heard the one about the pot and the kettle.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Selling Fear is all the Republicans have these days, they cant run on much else.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Didn't someone used to have a sig here that said something like, in an ironic poll, 50% of people think Bush is a uniter and not a divider. I'm guessing that number is much lower by now. I'm sure this will work on some people, but not as many as it used to. I suspect the opposite, as it's just going to piss more people off. Not that they aren't already.

Hopefully this actually gets some play in the media.

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

olbermann is on fire: direct QT link

i like the phrase "fog of fear".

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Most definitely. The left doesn't seem to be rolling over and taking these cheap shots these days. Nor does the media, oddly enough.

23. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

The irony is that while this jerkoff basically said the country is full of morons, a good bit of them probably don't know they've just been called morons.

I also don't think it's a case of us wisening up, just that the bread & circus crowd started listening to the other side some.

24. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Did you just call me a Jerkoff?:eek::rolleyes:

The first "election" of GWB was a flook and people desperate for change.
    The second time was just stupidity.