Rumsfeld Offers Optimistic View of Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Dec 5, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

(emphasis mine)

wow, that's quite a new standard, eh? we can declare success in iraq even though there are still attacks!

i see the road to declaring victory and withdrawing before the midterm elections is being paved.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Rather similar to "Whatever the US does is legal". How long can these bastards take us all for fools?

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He is seriously deluded.

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I understood it was Rumsfeld's goal to 'modernise' the US Army - by reducing the number of regular Soldiers (paychecks and ) and increase the use of 'smart' munitions and advanced communications.

Less bodybags, in return for some fat paychecks for their arms exec friends.

Iraq was to be the proving ground for this, by catching the Iraq army in the desert, out in the open - off course they've ended up embroiled in street fighting, which needs soldiers on the ground.

Based on the comments that have come out of the Bush team, I really think they expect the insurgents just to kindly roll over and give up fighting. That'll never happen.

- He has a personal agenda to make the Iraq war appear successful

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well, he's succeeded in the first aim: there are 2,000 less regular soldiers.

6. tristan macrumors 6502a

7. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

On the other hand...

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=C36A87B9-63A0-4CDE-AA91-B41571AFD3AF

Extract:
    Dean: US Won't Win in Iraq
    LAST UPDATE: 12/5/2005 6:26:32 PM
    Posted By: Jim Forsyth
    This story is available on your cell phone at mobile.woai.com.
    (SAN ANTONIO) -- Saying the "idea that we're going to win the war in Iraq is an idea which is just plain wrong," Democratic National Chairman Howard Dean predicted today that the Democratic Party will come together on a proposal to withdraw National Guard and Reserve troops immediately, and all US forces within two years.

8. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i'm just curious about the difference between a "positive stance" and propaganda. obviously, they both have the absence of truth as a common denominator.

and trying to change the definition of success seems to fit right in with the propagan...errr, positive stance of this administration.

just keep repeating "we're winning".....

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Hmm...is that true of the United States? :rolleyes:

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

beat me to that one...just what I was thinking.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wow. I'll have whatever he's smoking.

Especially since they will just keep fighting for years for their cause, while our patience is waning. There are still the ~30% who will follow GW into Hell, but since I don't see all them going off to fight in his wars the way the insurgents do, I don't think we have a chance.

We can't win, we can't just leave... Vietnam anyone?

12. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

If history is anything to go by, not many countries win 'wars' against terrorists.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

One needs to stop defining a good economy as how well Americans are performing financially.

One needs to stop defining securing Social Security in terms of how secure it is.

One needs to stop defining sucessful education reform as having kids get smarter.

One needs to stop defining successful foreign relations as having other countries willfully associating with you.

14. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

one needs to stop defining democracy as government either by or for the people.

15. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

IMO it's made much worse by the term 'Al Qaeda' and how most 'terrorist' organisations seem to be lumped under the same, easy to remember, banner.

It just confuses the seperate issues, within different countries - which we've heard is actually what governments want - the public scared of the boogie man, as per the cold war with Russia.

At least with individual groups you can attempt to identify and control them, makes the job much harder to do using a global banner or working against a believe system as Al Qaeda has become.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

More like a make-believe system. Immovable object, meet irresistible force. How are you going to make it impossible for your political organization to be perverted like this again?

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

for a (somewhat) recent example of this see "The Battle of Algiers" - an excellent movie about a fascinating subject.

To those who don't know the story, the French, with great effort and questionable tactics managed to put down a drive for independence by Algierian "terrorists". Although France eventually won the contest, it cost them so much in so many ways, that Algieria got it's independence not too much later.

I think that's right - I have the flu and maybe the medicine is talking...

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

At a cost of up to one million dead. The only successful example of counter-insurgency I know of was the Brits in Malaya, 1948-1960. 11,000 dead in total (both sides). Could the low death toll be significant? It's "hearts and minds" of course, rather than "shock and awe". Doesn't anybody do History any more?

bf, sorry you're flued out. Try Gelsemium or Pulsatilla. Works for me every time.:)

19. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

That's my thinking for the past year or so .. This is GWB's Vietnam.. :rolleyes: Still he's "NOT" on the front lines with his forces..

Iraq war won't be over in 2 years,if another republican is elected as president in 2008 then it'll be another 4 years in iraq to 'help' GWB's image out.. IMHO
    :eek:

20. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Too right.

I put wars in quotes for this reason - and was thinking about putting terrorists in quotes because I couldn't think of another word - hey - i'd been up for 10 minutes at the time of writing!

One person's terrorist is another persons freedom fighter / just cause.

21. tristan macrumors 6502a

Not true. Terrorists target noncombatants. Freedom fighters target government and military. So an insurgent who blows up a car bomb at a US-manned checkpoint is a freedom fighter, but if they blow up the car bomb at a crowded bus terminal, they're a terrorist.

22. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Makes sense.

What if the terrorist and the freedom fighter have the same goals? ie) removing an occupying force. Are any tactics that acheive the stated goal acceptable?

What would Dick Cheney's answer be?

One could say that Bush has shown callous disregard for civilian lives in Iraq. Is he a terrorist or a freedom fighter? You could make a case either way.

Must freedom fighters be native?