run games in Tiger or Windows?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kiscokid, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Kiscokid macrumors member

Just a quick one.

If I was to buy a new 24" iMac.....is there any merit in playing a game like WOW in windows (boot camp) as opposed to in OS X?

Should it run exactly the same under both operating systems?

And what about say my old copy of Football Manager 2006. It comes as MAC or PC on the disc. Again - would one operating system run this better than the other?

Sorry if this is quite a simple one - or has been answered elsewhere - but its a dilemma in my head that I need to solve. I am a little confused by this universal binary system as a lot of pc/mac games dont seem to state this.

Thanks

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If its a dual format game like the ones you mentioned, I'd stick with OS X - but of course most new games are not available for os X for bootcamp is the only way to go for them.

3. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Universal Binary

Refers to the specific method that the program is compiled. A year ago, OS X programs were compiled to run only on the PowerPC processor. When Apple introduced Intel processors, they introduced the universal binary- compiled to run on either Intel or PowerPC. Native now referring to programs being written to run natively on the Intel processor.
    There are some programs that haven't yet been released in Intel or universal binary forms, but will run in emulation (slower than natively) under Rosetta.
    Windows is yet another operating system.... if your game was released prior to January 2006, it is probably compiled for PowerPC, and would run slower (in emulation) on an Intel based Mac. If the game was released after January, it might be in universal binary, works well on either PowerPC or Intel based Mac.
    If your Mac is Intel based and the game isn't a universal binary, it would probably run better in Windows if the publisher put both Mac and Windows versions on the disc.

4. Kiscokid thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the message - I think I am a little clearer on the technical side now....although both posts seem to offer conflicting advice on whether pre-2006 games will work better on OS X or Windows.

I am pretty certain to be buying the Imac in the next few weeks - so I guess with a bit of tinkering I will soon find out.

5. stagecustom macrumors regular

ive got a question if i run windows can i run any of the grand left auto games, also can i install it on a external hard drive then boot from it in anyway for windows?

6. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

If you do it the Bootcamp way, anything should run - it's just Windows like usual.

Not sure about performance, but other users reported that this should work fine, and saves a lot of disc space as well.

7. stagecustom macrumors regular

well i was also asking about performance, will it be able to run GTA games in windows if i only have 512mb ram and a 1.5 CORE solo?

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Check the system requirements of the game. A mac running Windows via bootcamp is just like any other PC such as a Dell or an HP machine (except it looks better :)).

9. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

i prefer to run games in windows mainly because i'm a multiplayer kind of gamer and multiplayer games are notoriously crap when it comes to PC and mac compatibility. If it's a single player game however (Civ IV mainly) then I'd stick to a native binary version cause it saves the reboot hassle.

10. stagecustom macrumors regular

okay, it definitely meets the system requirements. also how do i go about installing it, will the doss system or w.e come up when i put the xp pro disk in? also can i do the following: buy an external drive and partition it in half like a 300GB would come up as 2 drives of 150gb? so i could have one for just storage and back up and one for microsoft xp. or can i do different increments? like 250GB of storage and 30GB for xp as i only want it to play a couple games?
    Thanks
    also would media PC be better since i have a 360 or do you need certain PC hardware to do so?

11. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Installing Windows? Or installing the game? To install Windows on a Mac, you need to download Boot Camp and install it, then burn a driver CD (BC will prompt you to do that), then insert the XP SP2 CD and install it. And you have to have Service Pack 2. Then it'll be a pretty standard Windows installation.

For games, simply stick 'em in and install as always.

However, you can't install Windows on an external drive with Boot Camp. It has to be an internal. However, that won't stop you from putting games on an external drive and playing them off of that.

Last: you can't use Media Center Edition with Boot Camp.

12. lewion macrumors regular

lewion

Wrong, you can use a external drive for installing xp via some procedure... Use search and don't say something you don't know about.

Second, Wrong, You can run media center edition! i have it myself.

13. stagecustom macrumors regular

okay, how can i do all of this from an external? i would need to install tiger on the external first i presume? then boot from it with bootcamp.

Thanks.

14. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Your new iMac has an Intel processor. That means that for applications to run at their full speed, they need to be compiled for Intel. Universal Binaries are compiled for both Intel and PPC (thus "universal").

If you have a game with both an OS X and Windows version, but the OS X version is not a UB (check online to see if there are any updates!), then it will run very slow on OS X because it's being emulated and it would be better to run the Windows version.

15. stagecustom macrumors regular

okay i still haven't had this exact Q answered sorry. But here is what i still need to know:

1. Can i do this---> get external drive and install windows xp on it. Here is what i would do. install tiger, then bootcamp then windows. then i would have an external to boot from (i guess firewire cause usb is un bootable?)
    2. Can i do this with WINDOWS media centre and plug it into my xbox 360 to stream and transfer videos and music to the xbox 360 hard drive?
    if i can do this i will..
    thanks.

16. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

17. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Sounds to me like lewion already answered your questions, but I'll have a go.

1. From Boot Camp Beta: Requirements, installation, and frequently asked questions (FAQ):

I have more than one hard drive, can I install Windows XP on any drive?
    With Boot Camp Beta 1.1 or later, yes, but you can install only one Windows partition on any of your computer volumes. The Setup Assistant will allow you to partition drives, or to install Windows XP on an entire drive if it does not contain Mac OS X. Note: You cannot install Windows XP on an external hard drive.​

I don't know what the process is to get it onto an external, you should search the forums, I know it's been discussed.

2. Assuming you can install Windows Media Center edition and that it can do those things, then your Mac will do those things too (this can't be stressed enough it seems: it's just like having a PC, there's really no difference).

18. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

So why does Apple's FAQ say otherwise?

It was posted above, but I'll point it out again (and bold emphasis mine)

As for MC, are you using Parallels? He's talking about Boot Camp.

And while there is a way to install XP on an external drive, it's not recommended, not easy, and probably not for the normal user. Plus, there are drawbacks and it's not the exact solution he wants.

So technically, we're both right.