run iTunes from 2nd hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hupalmer, Aug 5, 2005.

1. hupalmer macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Anyone up for helping me out of a simple(-sounding) problem?
    I was running out of hard drive space so wanted to move my itunes music folder to a 2nd hard drive I have (internal) where there is plenty of room.
    Predictably, when I start iTunes up, all the songs are listed but won't play because the file can't be found. I can redirect iTunes to the 2nd hard drive and off it goes, but I don't want to do this 3000 times.
    Is there a quick way to get iTunes to work with the library in its new location?

Many thanks

Hugh

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In the iTunes preferences, under "Advanced", change the folder location to somewhere on the second hard drive. Now, when you press okay, it should copy all of your music to this new location. If it doesn't, use the Advanced menu to select "Consolidate library".

Warning, this will take a while since it is copying across your entire library. :)

3. hupalmer thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that

Thanks a lot, appreciate the guidance.

Hugh

4. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Let me add that this doesn't work if you already moved all your music. Once your music is there, you change the location.

I am about to change it to an external hard drive, actually...

5. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

Ti_Poussin

you can also erase your entire library in iTunes (without wimping it from you hard drive). Move the files to the external HD, change location in iTunes like other have say, reimport the music by drag and drop the folder on iTunes. It have work for me.

6. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

This article should have all the info you need about switch libraries.

7. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

But that's not the smartest way to do things, is it.

Just keep the music and Consolidate the Library. Its the easiest way.

And the second easiest way is just updating your iPod with all your music, ripping the music off your iPod, and then your DONE.