Run windows apps on Mac OS X without installing a windows emulator

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sonaeact, Nov 18, 2006.

1. sonaeact macrumors newbie

Nov 18, 2006

here is my problem:

I have an iBook G3 clamshell 366Mhz, 320Mb RAM and 10Gb HD. I run Mac OS X 10.4.8 .
    Now, i want to run Fruity Loops on my iBook, but being short on HD space and ressources, i'm not really looking forward to install a windows emulator like virtual PC or GuestPc on it.
    I tried Darwine 0.9, but you can't directly install pc apps on your mac with it (yet).

So here is my question: does anybody know a program similar to darwine but that would let me install my own pc apps on it ???

thanks a lot :D !!!
  2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Basically, you're out of luck. All the fast Windows solutions require an Intel-based system, so you're stuck with Virtual PC etc, which I expect will be unbearably slow on a 366 MHz G3 :(
  3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    No kidding. It was unbearably slow on my iBook G4 800mhz.
  4. wyrmintheapple macrumors regular

May 8, 2006
    Southampton, UK
    Depends on what you'd call unbearably slow. VPC 4 I think It was (Maybe 3) was pretty good if you used win 95/98. Anything else was sooooo slow. This was on an iMac 333Mhz with 96Mb RAM

So, Its do-able. Not sure what fruityloops is though. If it needs 3D then you really are screwed.