Runaway launchd Process...Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by supafly1703, Jul 23, 2006.

1. supafly1703 macrumors regular

My computer has recently been slowing to a crawl at times, and when I check my Activity Monitor I see the culprit is launchd, which is using 30-60% of my CPU. Anyone else with this problem, and why does it happen? Can I stop it?

2. supafly1703 thread starter macrumors regular

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You mind elaborating a bit? Such as, what program is it?

4. supafly1703 thread starter macrumors regular

No idea what program is causing it, I mean its a root process and is related to startup....but why the high CPU usage?!

5. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

You don't even understand what launchd does. Please leave it alone.

6. supafly1703 thread starter macrumors regular

I know enough to know it's not supposed to consume 60% of my cpu for hours...don't post if you can't contribute.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Well do you have a slow computer? If so then it may just be that Tiger requires that much processing power. Actually, what are the specs of your computer?

8. supafly1703 thread starter macrumors regular

1.67ghz g4 powerbook. And I clearly see the 60% CPU usage of launchd in Activity Monitor. It has been that way for hours. This is clearly not normal.

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

10. supafly1703 thread starter macrumors regular

Have done so in the past, but the problem always resurfaces...

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

When you run a processor demanding task, does that process that uses 60% of the CPU take the back seat and give the demanding process the CPU or does it continue to use 60% of the processor? Also, are you running any apps like folding@home? And have you tried an Archive and install?

12. han-zo macrumors newbie

launchd may indicate another program is problematic

I had two launchd's taking between them about 60% of my CPU and causing the fan to go nuts on my MBP. Turns out that killing a locked up, old program called Graphite fixed it entirely. IOW, launchd running up your CPU could also indicate another app is the problem?

Good luck.

13. hiymeh macrumors newbie

Same problem

I too am experiencing the same issue, I have a newer MacBook running 10.6.2, 4Gb of Ram and everything seems to be bogged down over this launchd..... i have killed all my apps, restarted and it always comes back sooner or later. any ideas on how to find the culprit? I've pulled the battery and that seems to help and my battery life is improved for a while but then something starts it back into consuming 40-60%.... i'm so annoyed, please help.