Runescape?

Discussion in 'Games' started by bluedevil14, Mar 6, 2006.

1. bluedevil14 macrumors regular

bluedevil14

Does anyone here play the online game Runescape? I used to play it and then I quit for a while because of school. Yesterday I decided to log back in for a while and it would not log in on my Powerbook. I tried on my brothers iMac and it didnt work ethier. It still works on the windows computers at school though. Anybody else have this problem?
    P.S. It used to work on my mac about 6 mounts ago

2. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

yea i use to play it like you did but i cant seem to find out why it dont work for me any more also. ive tryed the options on ther bottom where you select the GFX options but still no go

3. charmin macrumors member

charmin

I've been trying to play it recently as I'm considering a job with Jagex on their tech. team. I got through the newbie area, but now Java seems to crash constantly before the main world loads, or very shortly afterwards. Tested with IE, FF, OW and Safari.

I wonder if anybody has had success with any browser/java configurations?

Edit: Been working better with Camino, Java 1.4, and a 75MB Java cache limit. Just died though, after about an hour, 90 minutes.

4. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

hey if you do get a job there try to get them to make the games more compatable with Mac. i use to be able to play it running on OS 9.2.2 with wamcom mozilla 1.3.1. then it to stopped working. then i got back into it with OS X and safari and not 10.2.8 im talking about 10.2. now it to wont work. i like the game but wonder why they make them just pc compatable and not both pc/Mac

5. charmin macrumors member

charmin

The game is technically platform independent, since it runs entirely on Java. I'm not sure exactly what feature of Java they've used to play sounds that only supports Internet Explorer for Windows.

The problem with running it on Macs seems to be something to do with the OSX Java implementation. From the tests I've done (I don't know a great deal about Java) it seems to be freezing Java either by buffering too much game data, or just a memory leak. And that's some serious memory, because I have 1.1GB RAM.

6. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Strange. It used to work with Safari and 10.2.8. Only no sound, but everything else worked.. don't know what they ave changed. we could all send them mails and ask..

7. charmin macrumors member

charmin

Mails to Jagex? Tried that. Not had a reply after a few days.

Update on the 'getting it working thing': Always seems to crash if playing on high quality (867Mhz, 1.1GB), this time crashed after about 10 minutes. On low quality have been able to play for hours at a time. And this is still with Camino.

Edit: Maybe it would help to have a little "gentle harassment" from the Mac community. If anybody has an interest in the game it would help to send a mail or technical report to Jagex, see if we can't make them sit up and listen.

8. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Runescape + Intel Mac = CRASH

I play Runescape all the time on Mac OS X 10.3.9 on an older G4 and now 10.4.5 on an iMac Core Duo.

I have no problems on the G4, I can play for hours, leave the game at the login screen all day, come home and play some more all night.

I did tweak the Java settings a bit to make it stop crashing from low-memory at first.

HOWEVER on my new iMac Core Duo Runescape crashes repeatedly in Safari. I just read some Apple developer docs that say Intel chips don't handle overflowing arrays all that well, hmm. Guess what error shows up in the Console a few minutes before Runescape crashes on an Intel Mac?

An array out of bounds error - non fatal on a PowerPC CPU (I guess), but knocks the crap out of an Intel CPU, apparently.

BTW here is the memory tweak for Java to better run Runescape:

Open the "Java 1.4.2 Plugin Settings.app" in the Utilities/Java folder. Add the following to the "Java Runtime Parameters" text box:

Code:
    -Xmx128m
    I use 128, but you could use 256 (megabytes) or whatever if you have gobs of RAM installed. This basically changes the Java app "heap" size to whatever you set it. Since I did this Runescape no longer crashes on my PowerPC G4.

I tried this on the iMac Core Duo, tried using J2SE 5.0 v1.5.0 (Worst. Version. Number. Ever.) and Runescape still crashes a few minutes after the error above. *shrug*

9. bluedevil14 thread starter macrumors regular

bluedevil14

i have already sent Jagex complain thing, and my brother has done the same. I would be willing to do the "gentle harrasnent" and see if that works but I dont think they are actually going to do anything.

Also they have said they are working on the sound problem for almost a year. Personally that doesn't bother me because I just listen to iTunes while im playing

EDIT: I can confirm what Charmin said about the low quality. Also, I really dont notice a difference between the low and high quality.

EDIT: I also tried the heap size and it worked pretty well, I didn't get to test to for too long, also I cleared all my cache for Java and moved the cache limit from 50mb to 250mb. I thought that might help seeing that most of the my cache before i cleared was from runescape

10. charmin macrumors member

charmin

I tried Sayer's suggestion about changing the heap size. It worked great last night, and I played for a few hours without problems. Today I only managed half an hour before it froze.

I'm quite happy to continue using low quality mode though, as high quality just looks kinda dirty - the only difference I've noticed is 'specks' of debris everywhere.

11. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

the only way i can play in Os X 10.2.8 is if i use IE 5.2 i cant get it to run in safari at all . it will not run tho in OS 9 with IE 5.1.7 or wamcom mozilla 1.3.1 or icab or opera it will go to the login screen and go to loading game but there is a black screen that pops up saying welcome back you last logged on at blah blah ip blah blah date i click on play now and it wont go away. BTW i have sounds in game in OS X. but on the GFX setting page i scroll down and select use defauls java and below that i select low detail

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It happens to me too with Camino and Safari on an iMac G5 with 10.4.5. I've reported it as a bug...

13. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

My son plays that game all the time. He runs a 1.25Ghz eMac and uses Netscape v7.x. He says that the other browsers don't work ie. Safari, Camino, FireFox. We don't use IE so can't say about that one.

14. Sangel123(alach macrumors newbie