Running apps under two different users at the same time.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacNoobie, Sep 24, 2005.

1. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Greetings,

Basically I have a client that shoots sporting event photos locally here; he has two desktops with two monitors and keyboards/mice that display their photos on these machines to the public to get people to purchase their photos in frames. He has a laptop that has five Epson printers hooked into a USB 2 card that he uses to edit photos as well as download new ones to the laptop to burn to a CD to put on the two desktop machines. I of course have a Power Mac I'm willing to hook up my 30" ACD to display the photos to the public on but at the same time I want to use the machine to download the photos from the memory card and run Photoshop CS2 to print on these five Epson’s. My question is if I can for example login under my account and run PS CS2 as well as print photos and also if I could hook up a second monitor, login under a different user and have iPhoto running where it could display the photos on the ACD and possibly have a second keyboard and mouse that people could sit down and scroll through or otherwise stop the slideshow and be able to pick out individual photos to have printed or somehow mark them so I can pick them out and print them in what ever size they need. I suppose I could run iPhoto or iView Media Pro and have it set to one display and work on the other but I want people to be able to view a sort of slide show and also click through photos to find the one they want to be printed.

I know you can enable fast user switching but would it be possible to have two different keyboard and mouse configurations into the same box and run iPhoto as one user and PS on my account so that neither mouses or keyboards interfear with eachother.

Also does anyone know or have either an Applescript or Automator action that could possibly import photos off a card and put them on the hard drive as well as maybe specify the names of the images before putting them on, for example instead of DSCS000234.jpg name it like 11AM Card A - <Team Names>.

I also need an answer by tonight as I will call my client and convince him to let me setup my PMac on location instead of dealing with a slow laptop to print and an extremely inefficient CD distribution of getting photos from the laptop to the desktops to view (I don’t know why we didn’t just setup a switch and cat 5 and network them all together).

Thank you and god bless,
    Thomas

2. MacNoobie thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Anyone?

3. Riot_Mac macrumors regular

I dont think it can be done. If I am understanding what you are trying to do... you would need another computer. You are trying to have two users use one computer at the same time under different accounts?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No.

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

nope you can't do that. you best bet actually is to have custom software written or find some that allows to do photo kiosk type work on a different computer. i bid on a contract once that a nightclub wanting software download all the photos off of a digital camera and redisplay then on a kiosk application that allow people to purchase photos from the evening. there was no editing involved in it. if the photo sucked, they didn't sell, but your clients are basically drunk so it didn't matter.

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Why not just pick up a mini for your picture browsing machine? 500 bones and it should do the job. Beats lugging around a PM...

Good luck.